Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: splinter1804 picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
And another good morning to all of my “Brom. Mates” - The air here this morning is very humid and salt laden after an early morning “sea mist” where I couldn't even see my back fence. These mists are something we only get two or three times a year, but they never cease to amaze me; another little quirk of Mother Nature.

Sue – Sorry I can't ID the plants in your first four pictures, probably more chance if the flowers were open, however them's the breaks. The plant in the last pic I think is Ae. 'Royal Wine', a hybrid made way back in 1946 by Mulford Foster by crossing Ae 'Victoriana' Discolour onto Ae. 'Miniata' Discolour. Royal Wine like both of its parents also has discoloured leaves and like any plant with discoloured or burgundy coloured leaves can be a little “cold sensitive”.

Shirley – I like your pic's, especially the one named Chlorosticta F2 and if it's not already spoken for I'd like one of your spare pups please, perhaps we could swap for Neo. 'Broulee Beauty' (Unreg.). It's interesting to see the shape of your Neo 'Grace' x 'Break of Day' as both parents are more compact and smaller plants and I'm wondering where it gets it's shape and larger size from. Looks like a bit of “home work” when I get a chance.

I have to agree with you about the “low life” who stole the plants from the Botanical Garden Glass House. There's always someone who want to spoil it for everyone else isn't there. They don't seem to care that these plants are there for everyone to enjoy and that some of them are quite rare and that's the only place people will get a chance to see them; all thy can think of is how much money they'll get when they sell them on.

Isn't it bloody amazing that electrical appliances always seem to choose the most inappropriate time to die! It always seems to be at a time when we're very busy and money is tight. It happened to us last week when our fridge died, and with Christmas quickly approaching, it could have died at a time when we were less dependent on it, but no; it had to be then.

Ian – I too am in the process of re-locating plants and also have to take steps like you did to stop them being blown over. I'm going to do what I tried for the first time last year and which worked well. Instead of burying the plant in the pot, you bury a second pot of the same size and firm the soil around it. You then sit your plant (pot and all), inside the pot you buried. The end result is it looks just as good, but you can move the plants without and hassles when the time for dividing comes around.

I've had a lot of trouble with wind this past year, especially with the hanging plants which face the south. The strong southerly winds cause them to knock together which causes damage to the leaves. I am currently fitting hinged frames covered with shade cloth to what is the top half of the front wall of the cloth covered roof. This will act as a barrier to the wind and the frames can be lifted up out of the way when it's not windy so everything can still be seen. I'll post some before and after pic's when the job's finished.

Bree – That's bad luck about the botanical gardens for you, but you do now have the chance to go “brom shopping” at Sue's sale, and that can't be bad thing.

A few pic's to finish with now before Sue beats me to the punch (Oh I forgot, she'll probably be too busy with her sale to be writing here today). These plants are all part of the make-over of the south facing area beside the northern fence. It is covered with green 50% shade cloth but unfortunately due to its south facing aspect, it doesn't get the light I would prefer, but then we can't have everything we want can we? Most of these plants are of larger types and are here because they take up too much bench-space in the shade houses. Pic.1 is Neo 'Rosy Morn', Pic.2 is a rather large form of Vr. Fosteriana, Pic.3 is another large one (I forget the name) but to give you some idea, it looks like a huge 'Gold Fever', Pic.4 is an old favourite Vr. Hieroglyphica and is the last of about three hundred I grew from seed a few years back. Finally, this one is also a large Neo and one I don't remember the name of either, but I like the shape and it's just starting to show a bit of colour so I live in hope.

All the best, Nev.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America