Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: weed_woman picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
weed_woman wrote:
good morning all,
Trish, I am amazed that your plant arrived broken! I think I had written 'live plant' all over the parcel didn't I? I guess when all I am relying on is a cardboard box to protect against Aussie posts mishandling, what can we expect? It would get a bit expensive to package things in metal boxes eh? I'm guessing it was broken above the stolon? I can always post you another, but it will have to wait until after Xmas now, as I imagine the post is crazy, and the postal employees are all getting a bit careless as the workload increases.
Ian, I am thinking the same for your seeds and Aechmea 'Fosters Favourite Favourite'. Its only a couple of weeks before the holidays are over and the seeds are only JUST ripening, so can stay in the pods another couple of weeks, no problem.
Your mesh idea sounds viable. I would need a mountain of mesh to do the same thing here. What I really need is a bark catcher, as I am sick of picking it up. I have big black bins around the yard at the moment, and try to collect bark as I pass, then empty the bins onto the bonfire when they are full. I need to start a new bonfire pile too, as it is about as big as I'd like it.
shirley, what brand of aircon have you got? I'd like one of those. I think your two new pink broms look gorgeous.
Wendy, your bigeneric seedlings sound quite interesting. Were they in the batch from Ross'?
I'm not a fan of Quesnelia liboniana. I like the flower, but find the leaves mark badly here. Could it be the cold? I wonder what you will get from the cross?
Trish, did you use your hammock as temp shade? Is that what will catch the avocados and mangos? I love hand watering my broms too. Its a good way to keep an eye on them and see any problems before they get out of control, and to weed them, and to see who is coming into flower or pupping. It takes me at least an hour a day to water through each section of my collection. Its very therapeutic.
I agree with Shirley. i would love some of your left overs! I was treated to dinner out, last night, and our hosts cooked a chicken in a bbq. It was devine, not to mention the pavlova that followed, served with kiwi fruit, banana and frozen berries! yumm!
Nev, I heard a story that Hot gossip, milagro, and predator are all the same plant, just imported into different stables, so registered with different names? I don't know how true that is.
Yes, must have been thinking about wine! I think I had an ID on it somewhere else, with 'Port Wine' and it sounded familiar (I have port wine magnolias in the garden) so it stuck in my head. Thanks for sorting me out. I may, or my not have realised my mistake when labelling :-/
Thank for giving Bree the nod on N. 'Amazing Grace'. I should have labelled it for her. It was crazy around the time she visited, but dropped off to nothing shortly after.
Bree, I'm glad you are pleased too, and like Nev, know nothing about your Neo. 'Pot Of Gold'. There are so many of the red and gold ones around that I can't give a definite ID on any of them!
Yesterday, Hubby and I and a friend went for a lovely motorcycle ride in the country, and caught up with our restorers group, by accident, at a local tea house, so it was a lovely morning.
I had been up earlier in the day, and cleared up the plants before doing a deep watering. I plan to begin the fortnightly fertilise today. It will take me all week, as I use the watering can. I will have to try a new method one of these days!
Photo one is Aechmea maruensis. I've had it for a few years, and it was under the trees gathering leaves, so when i saw the bloom, time to repot and clean it up!
Photo two is Alc. brasiliana flowering. It started on saturday morning, and Alc. extensa also flowered on the same day. I am not crossing them, as i don't think one would improve the other.
Photo three is Alc. extensa in flower. They have one bloom on each branch, at a time so they should be in flower for some time yet. I am self pollinating both if anyone would like some seed later next year?
Photo four is another Aechmea needing identification. Any ideas?
Photo five is the new pup on Aechmea 'Red Bands' how I wish it stayed this colour.
well, better go and check my typing and speling, then send this post off to you.
till tomorrow
Sue

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America