Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: ianperry picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
ianperry wrote:
Hi all,Another dry and hot day here. NOt much done other than watering.
Nev My Moby dick is about 40cm across. Tonights pic 1 is one taken in August this year when I bought it form Bowen. It will be a while before I get any bigeneric crosses as I will have to get the plants to flower at the same time. Maybe I will have to save some pollen in the freezer. If it is meant to be it will happen. At least I have food for thought.
Painted desert XStormy weather is growing almost in full sun for most of the day and that surprises me, I would have thought les light would have been preferable. The plant is the boss. I had to move 1 from the back today as it was loosing colour, Too much sun I think.
Thanks for correcting my spelling, relying on memory tooo much. I have a juvenile plant of Acanthostachys Pitcairnoides and I will enjoy seeing it flower in the future. I certainly can see where it gets it's name from, all my Pits have those same low leaf spines.
Pic 2 is another plant that I cannot as yet identify,it has a similar flower to Acanthostachys Pitcairnoides.
Cotton wool, I guess it looks like that, but in fact is filter wool from my fish tanks. I used it to anchor the Til to some mesh. I have used it to start seeds but was to impatient. The seeds germinated but I transplanted them too soon and it was winter. I have also used it to hold potting mix in tree starter pots with cuttings. It holds the soil in and allows drainage until it clogs. Hopefully by then it would be time to transplant.
As for what i thought was a Ae it has Crypt type flowers and it could be a xCryptbergia. It is approx 10" wide and 5 or 6" high. At the moment it has 4 pups with the reddish colour and mumma plant is green. The underside is paler green on on mumma plant leaves and paler red on the pups.
I just noticed scale on this plant and have treated them.
Pic 1 Neo Moby Dick
Pic 2 An unusual plant
Pic 3 Neo Princeps
Pic 4 Neo Rosa Morado

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America