Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: perke_patch picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
perke_patch wrote:
Hi everyone.
SHirley thanks for the offer of that chloristicta pup. maybe we can do a swap next time you come over. thanks. I remember Johnny asking Olive when we bought a galactic warrior same time as you, he asked how she got them to grow so big. She told him that you let the pup get a good size on mum before taking it off. you do get less pups but you get a better quality of plant. we already had galactic warrior but Johnny just had to have one of those huge ones at Olives. so now we just have to leave them there till they are big.

Nev thanks for posting those links. I'll check them out. Funny you should say about crossing quesnelia with hallelujah. I found one coming into flower today and have already put it down beside the quesnelia to cross as the flowers open. I also put another dark red one there but can't remember the name. So I'll try both of those and see what I get. I'll have to take Jen there in the new year. we are due for a good brom crawl. might have to make it a few nights and go as far as Coffs to see Sue and Jan Townsend then back up to a few others including Allan. Oh and Nev when I was typing krukoffiana I remember thinking to myself "is it a k or a ch" guess I picked the wrong one.

Nev you were correct in the hybridiser of those xgenerics. One of our customers here last weekend organised for us to visit a friend of his as he told us he had so many large seedlings all desperate to be potted up that he was overwhelmed and almost ready to give them up completely. So we went off to Bangalow to visit his friend as arranged and as soon as I walked in I knew it was Alan Ladd. He lives in the middle of a cow paddock. you have to open the gate and close it again after moving through, then follow a track up, swerving around all the cow pads till you get to a farm house. we parked on the grass in front of the gate and Johnny opened his door and stepped straight into a cow pad. he had to back up a bit to miss it next time he stepped out. I took the camera off Rylee this morning and can't remember where I put it so can't upload the pics I took. however he sent me a pic of some of the 'nid nana x neo medusa' seedlings flowering so pic 1 will be his pic.
pic 2 is xcryptbergia red burst for Ian
pic 3 is xneomea kell. I don't mind this one although the flower could be a bit bigger and more dramatic.
pic 4 is xneomea scorpio. I am liking this one more and more as without realising it the sun moved around and caught one of these in full sun. some of the other plants have burned but this scorpio is just getting more and more red and handling it really well. I'll get another pic tomorrow showing the redder colouring.

I'd better get to bed now as I might head off to Hervey Bay tomorrow. If not tomorrow then definately the next. Have to deliver the presents for the family up there. will be the first visit with no dad to see. Must catch up to my sister though as it looks like this time next year she will be a widow as her husband is not too good. she has been down here in Brisbane with him in hospital but she stays in a motel over northside close to hospital. I didn't even know she was down till I saw my other sister. anyhow if I don't log on tomorrow that's where I'll be.
Speaking of going away. if I don't post the parcels this week I'll leave them to after christmas to allow Aust post to get their act together. I went down today and the lineup was again out the door and round the corner. not going to try to post anything this week.

Night all
Wendy

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America