Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: brombirdie picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright brombirdie

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
brombirdie wrote:
Good evening everyone. No more school for the year so itís time to stop lurking and start pulling my weight. Hopefully only 6 more months of work and Iíll be able to join the ranks of poor but happy. Then Iíll have no excuses for my slack contributions.
Nev, ouch! Bet that hurt! Hope it heals quickly so you can get back to typing and keeping us up to date with all sorts of info. I really liked your post about hybridising, that the colour comes from the father and the mother influences the shape and size. (Have I got that right?) Itís made me look at my flowering Vrieseas in a whole new light. A while ago you gave me a couple of Dykia seedlings. One of them is showing an interesting lemon middle like Yellow Glow. Photo 1 below.
Trish, like you, Iíve been busy putting up temporary shadecloth. So many broms that have never had sun problems before seem to have burnt this year. Love your Neo Grace x Break of Day (Gold form). Beautiful colours. All of your plants look so big and healthy.
Sue, the grevillea out the front finally died so I had to move all the Guzmanias underneath and replace them with big tough Neos and Aechmeas. Had to split the big one that you called Tutti Fruiti so you are welcome to a pup. I love the way you use your broms as borders. Top colours in your Camelot and Break of Day. The new gardens look good. Sounds like Wendy is planning a brom crawl down your way so hopefully weíll get down to see everything youíve been doing early in the new year. Think sheís ticked that Iíve been to Janís and she hasnít yet. Eh Wendy? Had a chuckle at your comment about Alanís giant feet Yuk! Imagine having to clean cow pats off them. Great that you got to meet Bree and scored some orchids as well. Pity we couldnít all get together somewhere.
Ian, for someone whoís only been into broms for a few years youíve certainly gone from Pplates to advanced in a short time to already be crossing genera and growing them from seed. Love your photos. Youíve always got some interesting ones.
Shirley, I love your new ones from Wendy. Purple Sand is one of my favourites. Your first spotty noid looks a bit like my Neo Sun God (Photo 2) but there a lot of very similar ones. Fingers crossed we get some rain. Plenty of rumblings.
Wendy, Iím so jealous of your visit to Alan Ladd. Canít wait to see all your new goodies. Iíve never been very keen on bigenerics but I like the ones in your photos. Hope you have a good fast trip to Hervey Bay.
Photo 3 is my Neo Blast that started going white about a year ago. Itís flowering now so is flushing pink. Apologies to Sue and Wendy whoíve already seen it on FB. Photo 4 is a pup on a Neo Tiger hybrid. Mum had a couple of stripes on the lower leaves and it looks like they might be coming through on baby. Photo 5 is a Vr Bianca cultivar from Catlan's showing plenty of white. Night all, Jen

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America