Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: weed_woman picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
weed_woman wrote:
Good morning all
Shirley, I meant to say I have stacks of that Noid in your third pic of the previous post. The one bree described as having scratches. It seems to be in almost every collection I have viewed, and always without a name. I've tried getting an Id on the international bromeliad forums, where alot of expert growers frequent, but no success.
As for my early post, thats 6.41 queensland time, so 7.41 here. I do get up early though, usually around the 5.30 mark (thats 4.30 to you) the birds usually sing me wake, or in the case of last monday, a chorus of cicadas..........while it was still dark!
I like the way the leaves curl on your N. 'Mandella. I'm not sure what your third pic might be though. I do like the ones that have contrasting colours. just that bit more interest to them.
I rang a plumber yesterday, to get some advice on the system, and he said it sounds like an annode has gone, and that at its age, its not worth replacing it, but instead should get a new system (I knew that was coming), but that i should get six months more out of the current one, time to research my options. I got his emergency number in case it should fail over xmas, and told him I would hold him to the advice he gave me.
Ian, I too was confused when I looked at the last picture and saw Kahala Dawn. I was sure you had writtn something else. I'm not familiar with N. 'Ruth Wilson' so if you still have computer access, how about another pic? I hope you have a great Xmas in Dalby with your daughter. Will you get into Brisbane while you are there?
Jen, gee, its about time you added your two cents! I like the pup with the variegation. How exciting. When you say 'Tiger Hybrid' is it a N. 'Skotaks Tiger' hybrid?
Your Vriesea 'Bianca' certinly has some white to it. I have to say its one of the nicer ones I've seen!
of course I'd be into a pup of G. 'Tutti fruitti'. I do like the Guzmanias. No spines, big plants and colourful flowers. I wish I could get up and visit. I cannot believe how fast the year went, and I didn't get my promised week up there. Xmas is just around the corner, so I can't see us there this year! You best just hang onto tutti for a bit. I will Dmail you after this.
Trish, thanks for keeping me in mind for a pup. I do realise it will be a little wait, but thats the beauty of bromeliad collecting. There is always something to look forward to in the future.
Yes, I do still have plenty of room for broms in the gardens. I tend to plant in rows, or blocks of threes, and have put a couple of Nevs seedlings in, that shoud grow to be large colourful plants. I have had broms in the surrounding gardens for quite a few years now, so I know the light/shade ratio is pretty much spot on in that area. Unfortunately they do gather alot of debris from the gum trees, so it can become a bit of work as I clean them up about every three months or so. I was told by a wise man to leave plenty of room to walk amongst them, and of course, as they grow, the gaps close, as i have discovered in other areas. i did not plant these last two gardens in pots, but sat the broms into the ground and mulch. The soil was lovely after ten years of debris/mulch breaking down, and still damp from rain we had last week.
I was looking at your V. 'Angela' x 'Milky Way' and wonder why it doesn't look anything like I would expect, (pink). You would think it gets the red from Angela, but then, if Angela is written first, is she not the pod parent, and that is shape and size, yes? And since Milky Way is the second name in the mix, then it is the pollen parent, so influences colour, hence......no pink.
I think I am getting the picture
Speaking of pictures
Photo one is Aechmea 'Mend' in the garden.
Photo two is A. 'Mary Brett' growing in lOTS of sun
Photo three is Canistrum aurantiacum, also in quite a bit of light
Photo four is Neo. 'Golden King'
Photo five is billbergia 'catherine Wilson' but doesn't look anything like the photos on the BSI files. I like the curly leaves
Sue

This message was edited Dec 19, 2012 6:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America