Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: weed_woman picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
weed_woman wrote:
Good morning brom addicts!
where to begin today?
Nev, I hope my Aechmea 'Red Bands' is a sport and makes me a milion. I'm sure, when all the fuss dies down, and they become cheaper, I will send you a pup. LOL
Thank you for the nice comments about the new gardens, and the Neos I posted previously. Yes, your N. 'Break Of Day' has much more yellow in it, as did mine when they were younger. This is one plant that goes through a variety of colour changes as it grows. I prefer it in its juvenile stages.
I'm pretty sure Jack did the Angela and Milky way crosses in both directions. He seems to try everything in all directions when its flowering. How else could he come up with all those beautiful colour combinations? I usually have a isit with him aorund New Year, and catch up with another brom friend that visits him at that time. I must see what they are doing this year. It doesn't seem like that long ago when I was there last, and they were constructing a pond, so I'd love to see how the garden has come along.
I agree with Trish, and think your shutters look so professional, and neat and tidy! I'm sure they will do the trick and keep out the cold or salt laden winds, to some degree at least. You will have some quality plants to show at next years annual bromeliad show.
Your orchids are gorgeous. I bought a piece from Toukley markets a few years ago, and split it. I put half in a pot and tied the other half to a palm. The one in the palm flowered this year, and the one in the pot has been growing and flowering for a couple of years. I also inherited another two pots of it from leisaD, so have plenty to spread the smell of cloves (or something similar?) around the garden.
Trish, we had a patch of grass getting sizzled yesterday. I don't know how hot it was, but the pool is now 30 degrees, but still cool enough to freshen up in. Hubby watered the dry patch last night, but we've had overnight rain (thank goodness) and the forecast is for more. I'm hoping it rains for a couple of days, to keep me indoors so I can get the house tidy for visitors on Xmas day.
I remember seeing a lady at the markets selling Vriesea philippo-coburgii as V. altodasserae. She had the Andrew Steens book out and had the picture of V. altodasserae showing the flower spike. I am quite familiar with V. philippo-coburgii and knew it from its round, red tipped leaves, and the picture in the book of V. altodasserae had very distinct pointed tips. I guess it was the flower that had convinced her of its name, as I believe they are quite similar. This same seller once sold me an Orthophytum tricolour, as a variegated Tillandsia! Nice lady, just ill informed.
N. 'Golden King' in the photo, is about as good as it gets. I have seen other clones that have a more yellow foliage, and mine is quite pale.
I haven't heard of Neo. 'Reverence' but will look out for it on my travels. I looked it up in the brom photo index. It looks to be a darker red than N. 'Kings Ransom'. I love your V. 'Black On Yellow', where did you get that one?
Shirley, you are so right with the Cicadas singing then suddenly stopping. They were singing again this morning, and yesterday afternoon, while driving up the highway, we passed stands of trees just humming with cicadas. so LOUD!
I'm guilty of sending the three sided box of broms, and yes, purely to avoid cubage! We had a local postal natzi who insisted on cubing everything, so thwarted her! She is long since gone, but the habit remains. Also a triangle is supposed to be stronger than a box.
I have had the same trouble with some variegtes as your N. 'Cane Fire' with the variegation being swamped by the colour. So i have done as you suggested and moved them to lower light. Its all in the eye of the beholder, and working out what you want from your plant.
Well, I'd better go check my spelling then find some photos, post this and get my morning started. Hopefully the rain will cool things off, but I have a feeling it will get quite steamy around here!
Sue
photo one in mini Neo. 'Misfit' it has banding underneath the leaves
photo to is a bunch of N. punctate type minis. I can't tell them all apart!
photo three is a try of unlabelled Aechmeas. I'll have to wait for a flower on these.
photo four is a Neo embedded in a border of Minis (?) the Neo in the middle is a striated one, but losing the lines in high light. I purchased it from Ebay, labelled as 'Exotica Satin' but think not. I liked it anyway so bought it as it wasn't dear.
Photo five is a close up. It used to be a dark burgundy when it less light.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America