Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: brombirdie picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright brombirdie

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
brombirdie wrote:
Good morning all. Another scorcher here today and still no rain. Hate to see my water bill for this quarter. Sue I love your Neo Golden King and the curls on your Bill. Catherine Wilson. I havenít got that one. The tigery one I posted with the stripy pup is Skotakís Tiger x Hannibal Lector x carolinae. I was just being lazy. Guess the stripe comes from carolinae. I took a photo of my Ae. Red Bands pup. Itís got some bands but I think yours is redder so maybe it is a sport.
Ian, I like your Neo April. It looks quite similar to Bill Morris. Hope you have a safe trip and enjoy Christmas with your daughter.
Trish, youíve got a very pretty Vr. Angela x Milky Way. Mine was a real dud, plain green with just the slightest hint of pink around the edge and the pups came out odd shapes. Iíve done the crosses both ways recently so itíll be interesting to see the results if I (fingers-crossed) get some seeds. Love your Vr. Yellow on Black. Where did you get it? Do you know anything about its parents? If you can ever bear to part with a pup Iíd love to go on the list to buy or swap.
Shirley, Neo Canefire seems to be very variable. Yours looks very nice in both photos. Bree, yours is very pretty too but also a bit different. Even in the BCR photo it shows both albo and variegated plants. Iíve got one that was labelled Canefire Purple when I bought it. Donít think thereís any such thing but itís definitely albo and very different from another Canefire that I got recently. Itís much lighter and more variegated. We could always ask Shane Zaghini from Brisbane to clear up our dilemma. He bred it.
Nev, hope your thumb is on the mend. I think I brought you down a Moby Dick earlier this year so maybe you have 2. The Dyckia you mentioned is Yellow Glow. Hereís some info about it on BCR. http://registry.bsi.org/index.php?genus=DYCKIA&id=2395#2395 Iíve got one and your seedling is starting to look quite similar. Iíve put your name on the Neo Blast albino pup list but it mightnít be anything special. Guess the possibility is in the genes. The Biancas are a bit like the Red Dragons, lots of variation because theyíre seedlings. Wendy and I bought several tiny ones of each grex from Catlanís for about $4 each and itís been fun watching them grow. Canít wait for my seedlings to start showing some individuality. Actually my seedlings Vr Dadís Fav. X Red Erotica(?)s from Wendy's seeds are starting to get some red stripes underneath so theyíve got potential. Your orchids are lovely and youíve done a great job with your windbreaks. Very neat.
Photos are 1. Baby Ae. Red Bands 2. Baby Ae. phanerophlebia looking very cute. 3. My favourite Neo marmorata albo with Canefire (purple) in front of it. 4. Some lovely pink babies on Vr. Pink Sensation from Sue 5. An unusual one called Wittrockia superba.
Night all, Jen

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America