Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: weed_woman picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
weed_woman wrote:
Top of the morning to you! Its friday! Yaaaaaay!
got to do house work. Boooooooo! heh heh
its all good.
Jen, I will put your name down for a Billbergia 'Catherine Wilson'. It has a small pup now (mine) but when it gets another it will be yours. I did put a seed pod down, but it looks like only one seed has germinated. I don't like its chances of success!
I have a pup on my Aechmea phanerophlebia too, and its as red as my A. 'Red Bands' but both are so small. I will keep an eye on the latter to see if it retains the red or not.
I love your marmorata variegate too. The purple cane fire really sets it off. And congratulations on your V. 'Pink Sensation' pups, although I cant see the albo stripe Wendy mentioned.
Is the Wittrockia a very large plant? I think I might have seen one at Peters, but can't recall.
Shirley, we have had the heat here too. It makes it very hard to get motivated to go outside, so i have been doing the bulk of my work early in the morning or after 4pm, with a dip in the pool when it all gets too much. I've started cooking on the bbq too, to avoid heating the house any more than it is.
Today has begun quite windy, and overcast. Probably a good day to be inside cleaning. Ugh!
I love your little black brom. Just like Wendy said, it seems familair to me to, and I am leaning toward N. 'Little Black' or 'Tar Baby' I think one has pointed leaf tips and the other, rounded, but Ican't recall which. I just looked on the bromeliad photo index, and it looks as though N. 'Tar Baby' has the pointed leaves. So maybe N. 'Little black'? I also like N. 'Hazel Mac' is this a mini also?
Wendy, thats a long post for a short one! LOL. I'm glad your trip went well and you were able to stock up on some more plants. It sounds like Johnny was very productive while you were gone. Sometimes thats better than having to watch them hurt themselves! I hope you get some rain, when you need it, to fill those tanks. We have been lucky and had our tanks filled overnight a few weeks back, with 110mm of rainfall. We've only had one or two ml in each fall since then, but its keeping the tanks topped up
Anyway, it is getting light outside, so I might take a peep and see if the day lends itself to walking the dogs. Else I'll throw the ball awhile.
Sue
Photo one is a Billbergia from Jean, many years ago. I love how big and dark it is! I haven't anything to cross it with, as it needs pollen from a colourful one. I'd like to keep the size, which means it has to be the pod parent. next time a coloured one is blooming, I will freeze some pollen.
Photo two is a new orchid. Its a Miltoniana. I bought it for a friend for Xmas. $20 at big W
Photo three is Oncidium 'Sharry baby' a sweet smelling orchid.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America