Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: perke_patch picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
perke_patch wrote:
Hi everyone
Congratulations Ian on becoming a grandad. now the fun starts for you watching the little one grow and develop a personality. they say and do the funniest things which makes life worth living and laughing about.
We've had a couple of really good weeks with Max but last couple nights he's had a bit of trouble sleeping. Of course when he snorts and snuffles we wake up to see if he's OK. It wasn't till I had a night away and slept really well then came back to sharing a room with Max and heard him snuffling and snorting and keeping us waking up all night. I wake up in the mornings tired and yawn all day. If we come upstairs and sit down with our feet up for a cuppa I can easily fall asleep for a nanna nap. I sit in front of the computer at night and just want to finish reading all the posts so I can log off and go to bed. And just when you are at your tiredest and just want to flop in bed the computer decides it is going to install 14 or more updates before shutting down. So then you have to either wait for that to finish and turn powerpoints off or leave them on all night.
I uploaded a heap of photos last night onto the computer but it was too late to do anything with them by the time I had them sorted so I just went off to bed without even reading DG so lots of reading tonight. Now I just want to put my head down and sleep so I'll post a couple and finish tomorrow.

Pic 1 is my seedlings of ae macfoster (macrochlamys). Ross said this plant doesn't self set seed so I think the ants have tickled it with pollen from something else. anyway 4 seeds set and I still have 4 seedlings growing so we'll see what they produce in a few years.
Pic 2 is ae (recurvata v benrathii x weilbachii leodensis) x self (F2) oops DG turned it back around.... sorry (not sure if I already posted this or not)
Pic 3 is the largest of the billbergia hallelujah F2 seedlings taken last week. boy they have grown since planted in March. I've just crossed 2 more hallelujahs with each other so hopefully I'll have some more to grow soon.

I think I'm going to lose a few batches of billbergia seedlings that had been planted in deep round containers. I think the air inside those just heat up too much and there is no air circulation because they were growing really really well and I had started planting them out then all of a sudden last week with the heat the seedlings started laying over in the pot and I accused Johnny of hitting them too hard with the hose which he denied. Anyway I decided to repot them all but too late for most. they were just too soft and soggy and fell apart when touched. hopefully I can save some. so if anyone is using these containers I suggest you fill half full of mix so seedlings are close to top before heat gets them. The deep rectangular dishes seem to be OK for billbergias.

Pic 4 is ae emivichal seedling which came from Nev. It is growing up high in a totem getting good light and the colour is just getting more and more stunning. However the plant is also getting quite large and will need a bigger pot soon.

Nev I planted some more of the seed you sent me using painted lady x NOID sport. I was spraying them today and I'm sure I can see faint white lines developing so I'm going to watch them very carefully. So many of our seedlings are getting to a size where they need to be potted up into normal sized pots instead of seedlings pots. once they reach that magic age they really take off don't they? I seem to be at that stage with a lot of them now. Of course it could be that we are now watering and fertilising more especially the foliar fertiliser. I'm also using watered down rooster booster sometimes and other times spraying with condy crystals so they are getting a varied diet of spray which they don't seem to be minding at all. I also am cutting holes in bottom of trays and standing in larger trays so they have a bit more of a water supply. this seems to be encouraging growth. I will be keeping an eye out now though for those broccoli boxes so I can fit 6 trays in one box. Jean lovely to hear from you again too. And Trish, Shirley, Sue, Jen, Ian, Nev, and all those others lurking out there and reading but not posting I say HI to all.

Well I'm off to bed now. I'm yawning up a storm and the jaw is clicking with each one so I need to get some shut eye.
Night all.
Wendy

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America