Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: weed_woman picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
weed_woman wrote:
Good morning. one more sleep.
Nev, do you have the time set right on your DG profile, because I post around 6-7am each morning, so your 12.48pm seems very strange indeed.
Root mealy bug is quite common, and I have found it from time to time. Its always a good idea to check each new plant you buy, by tipping it out of the pot and looking for the same symptoms as in Nevs photo. I use a bucket of Malathion, made up to the directions on the label (wear chemical gloves and a mask) and dunk the whole pot in for a few hours. Then allow to drain. I then take the plant out of the pot and allow the soil and roots to dry out. Toss the pot! better safe than sorry. When washing recycled pots from an unknown source, have a bucket of water and bleach handy and dunk the pots for a few minutes after washing. Thank goodness Mealy bug doesn't occur that often, becuase its a pain having to use Chemicals.
Nev, the N. 'Satsuma' seedlings were a wild cross. I did try crossing with N. 'Perfecta' but lost track of the pods, and almost all had set seed, so pretty sure it was a selfer.
Thanks for the article on Guzmanias. There hasn't been alot to read from yesterday. I refreshed my page this morning, and there was your post, so you beat me to it.
Bree, is that seller on Ebay? Will have to go see what prices they have
Poor Ian, having a hard time relaxing without anything to do. I get that way too, and get bored very easily if I am not busy. Enjoy yourself today and tomorrow.
I watered everything yesterdy also, Nev, as the storms and thunder just keep coming and going,daily, with no rain. Boy has it been humid!
photo one is a baby frog in the pond
Photo two is the same frog, on my finger so you can see how tiny it is.
Photo three is an adult frog of the same species, and is the usual size (dwarf eastern tree frog)
Photo four is Billbergia 'Fred gerber' coming into flower
Photo five is V. ospinae leaning against a tree trunk. Its in a 150mm pot and has stacks of pups.

Well, I'm off to do a small garden job this morning, so fingers crossed the traffic is light and the humidity low.
Sue

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America