Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: bromishy picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Wishing you all a Very Merry Christmas and Happy and prosperous New Year for 2013! What a year it’s been when you reflect on all that’s happened over the year.

Well Santa came early and granted our wishes for some rain and it rained most of the day and night yesterday and we woke up this morning to more beautiful rain and it’s now midday and it’s still raining. The frogs are singing non-stop and I went for a walk in the garden this morning and little green frogs (like the pics that Sue posted yesterday) are hopping around everywhere and I had them jumping on my legs like they were hitching a ride around the garden (like TAXI) lol, even the Girls had them on their backs and I had to take a couple off them before they came back through the doggy door to come back inside (too cute). Anyway the weather man said it should be find tomorrow with no rain and I am disappointed really to hear this as I’m luving this rain.

Hi Shirley thanks so very pleased that I have Christmas off as it has been really nice having time to do the things you never have time to do normally, like the bigger jobs that consume your entire weekend and that are exhausting to do. The house is sparkling clean which really pleases me, now I just need to keep it that way with all the visitors.

Shirley by all means it would be better to plant your Gingers in a semi-shady spot, mine get morning sun and then after that they are in semi-shade for the rest of the day. You can also keep then in pots but they need to be very large pots and make sure the potting mix does not dry out and keep them well fed. I prefer them in the garden because I can mulch them heavily and feed them on a regular basis and they have room to grow properly.

Shirley thanks for your info regarding postage, I will definitely keep this in mind. I appreciate you also putting my name down for that cute ‘Little Black’ Neo of yours its so lovely.

Shirley in response to a couple of your questions, the Neo directly behind Neo ‘De Rolf’ in my Pic 1 posted on 22/12 is Neo ‘Painted Lady x Concentrica, she is a medium grower and I have her normally under 70% shade cloth. Pic 3 Right to the centre is Neo ‘Margaret’; she is gorgeous and grows beautiful long leaves. The lovely pale Neo in Pic 5 is Neo ‘Rose Blush’. Yes by all means I will write you down for a pup of Neo ‘Margaret’ and Neo ‘Rose Blush’.

Shirley the Neo pics you posted on 22/12 of Neo Purple Cloud?, and Neo Hatsumi? They are both gorgeous. Hatsumi reminds me of Neo ‘Red River’?

Hi Sue in relation to Vr. ‘Yellow on Black’ no worries I will check my brom data base and see if I noted the sellers details as I could not find in my EBay history as we must have deleted and I will let you know. I don’t know if it will be in my brom data base though because the first one I had created was lost when our hard drive crashed along with my Vanda pictures (sad face), but since then I created a new brom data base so hopefully the info will be there?

Sue we would luv to see a pic of your orchid Epidendrum fragrans when it flowers.

Sue really liked all the pics you posted of all your broms not planted in rows (lol) mind you I also like it when you do plant in rows because you certainly have the room and enough of the same types of broms to do so. Maybe one day I will plant in rows, but for now a lot of mine are only mostly one of everything so I have no choice but to mix them up lol. I have a friend who has an English style garden and she plants in rows, her garden is not that big but never the less her garden looks beautiful. I especially liked your Pic 2 of Neo ‘Furnace’, really pretty large mini that really stand out in your garden.

Hi Nev thanks for the additional info regarding postage when it comes to parcels, really appreciate the advice and the link you provided.

Nev in answer to your question about Pic 1 I posted on 22/12, the brom is called Neo ‘Hula Girl’, and she is so full of colour, one of my many favourites.

Nev I will check and get back to you and Sue regarding who the seller was for Vr. Yellow on Black and see if you and I come up with the same sellers name Nev. Liz seems to ring a bell for me but I will have to check to be sure.

Nev thanks for sharing that great article you wrote on Guzmanias I found your article a very interesting read, I only have a couple of Guzmanias in the nursery and they get fed when Joe feeds the Orchids and they seem to luv that so it makes perfect sense what you say, and Joe alternates the fertiliser he gives his Orchids so they get a mixture on a fortnightly basis and thrive well from this.

Hi Bree what have you been up too? Thanks for letting us know about King of the Vr. Pups for sale on EBay, I have a few of these already but you can never have enough of them as they are gorgeous. Sooner or later though we all run out of room and have to be selective on how many we keep of everything including the same things.

Anyway you probably will not hear from me for the next couple of days with all the festivities. Today I am cooking again more ducks (back by popular demand), I have 3 x in the oven at the moment cooking and the smell is divine and our mouths are watering lol.

We just had the kids next door bring us over presents which was lovely and luckily Joe prepared many boxes of treats for all the kids who will be here for Xmas, but he also made extra boxes which came in handy so we gave them one each and their faces lit up like mini Xmas trees lol which really warmed our hearts. It’s all about the kids this time of year.

Hi to anyone else looking in and anyone on the Sick List, we miss hearing from you all.

Take care and Happy Gardening Everyone! Look forward to speaking with you all real soon!

Trish

Pic 1, 2, 3 & 4 More random Pics from the garden. Pic 5 Neo 'De Rolf' that is getting bigger - see my feet:

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America