Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: splinter1804 picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi to anyone who's watching in this morning – it's still early so I thought I'd just write a few lines before the family festivities of the day commence.

I was fortunate enough to get an early Christmas present last night. It started about 5.00 pm with distant rumblings of thunder which increased in intensity until we were having a good “old fashioned” thunder storm of the kind I remember as a child. As the rain started the thunder and lightening slowly abated but the good heavy rain continued through most of the night. All I can say is I hope Santa Claus remembered to bring a rain coat and umbrella.

Sue – The times I quoted in my previous post were the times shown on the left of the screen where my name appears which I think are American times anyway. What I was questioning was that we both usually post around 7.00am but that particular post showed times two hours apart. You ask, “do you have the time set right on your DG profile”, I've never set that time, in fact I didn't know I was supposed to, nor do I know how. I think that particular post was maybe a “one off” because yesterday the times shown were 11.49am and 12.08pm, which were a bit closer to the mark.

Thanks for adding your knowledge to the few lines I wrote about Root Mealy Bug as it was a subject I haven't had a lot of practical experience with having only seen it twice on some plants I bought in (both from the same grower).

I like your little frogs, I have some sort in my Frog Pond down the back but I don't know what sort they are as I've never seen them. They just make a rather dull noise which couldn't be considered as a “croak”, but they were all singing in unison this morning after the rain had stopped.

I like the dark foliage on your Bill. 'Fred Gerber' it really contrasts nicely with the bright red bracts, and the pic of your nice big plant of Vr. Ospinae shows that it grows well in good light as well as low light.

Trish – It's good to hear you've had some good rain at last which obviously your frogs liked as much as you did. Doesn't everything look great after being freshened up with some rain, far better than after just a normal water with a hose, it must be the “magic” in the rain that does it.

I have to agree with what you say about Christmas “being all about kids”, I think seeing the happy smile on the face of a child when they open a present, is in itself a Christmas present for us adults.

Jean – You say, “so you can all discourage my gathering of too many broms”, I really think you are what's known as a “Closet Brom Addict” i.e. one who keeps saying they don't want any more brom's yet won't admit they are really hooked by these great plants and really would like more' anyway, we look forward to hearing from you more during the new year.

Breeindy – Thanks for the Christmas wishes. I like the colours in your Neo.'Decora' (mum) so subtle; I have a plant in the front garden which was from one of my first ever crosses which is a similar colour but unfortunately nothing in the shape department.

Jen – Thanks for the Christmas wishes and I'm sure we all look forward to hearing more from you in the New Year.

Shirley – Regarding your plant of Vr Ospinae, I think it's time to take it out of the saucer of water and knock it out of the pot and inspect what's going on below the surface of the potting mix. I would then re-pot it in some fresh potting mix and see what happens then. It sounds like there's something going on that it doesn't like and as they say, “a change is as good as a holiday”.

As for standing these plants in a saucer of water, well that was a tip from Jack Koning (for those who don't know of him, he's an expert in the Vriesea area). It's a tip which I found worked well for me, but then as I've said many times previously, everyone's conditions are different and what works for me won't necessarily work for you.

I love the brilliant colours in your Guzmania; do you know the name of it or is it another of the many thousands of “commercial hybrids” that are being sold around the country with just a generic name tag stating that it's a “Bromeliad”.

I'll finish with a few random pic's this morning, nothing new as I haven't taken any new ones yet. Pic 1 is of a little Neo Strawberry cup just to show these plants will grow OK when mounted on a piece of bush timber. Pic.2 is the beautiful albiet slow growing Ae Fasciata Purpurea Pic.3 is what happens when you don't keep your garden brom's thinned out and they get away from you and Pic's 4 and 5 are of the pup growing area in my shade house.

All the best, Nev.

This message was edited Dec 24, 2012 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America