Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: weed_woman picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
weed_woman wrote:
Good morning all. I had a couple of days off to relax with friends and eat, eat, eat!
The weather on Xmas day was great, overcast and cool all afternoon. Then we got some rain (32mm) on Tuesday night, which is very welcome. Of course, now its as humid as, and I've just got back from an hours gardening in town with the sweat running off me! Whew! I have no plans for the day, so might get out and sort some more plants.
Shirley, I wonder if your Guzmania isn't G. 'Neon', G. 'Etude' or G. 'Voila' ? (spelling Not viola) I have G. 'Hilde' which is a hybrid, and lasts for more than six months in colour too. Aren't they good value?
Nev, that was a good article on growing tank broms. You needn't have raced to beat me, as I wasn't there, although I did look in to see if anyone had posted, and when I had, it was just Ian.
Ian, I second Jens sentiments, and hope you are keeping busy and getting some sleep.
Jen, your Vrieseas are colouring up well. Mine are just running out of fertiliser, which is making the colours come out, but the whole bench was upended in some strong wind awhile back, and all the leaves are damaged, so no photos, and probably will have to wait for pups before getting to see good shape again.
Nice to see you here, Kristi. Aechmea 'Chantinii' is one of my favourites! I notice you post in the bromeliad forum from time to time, but I can't access it because I am not a paid subscriber. Is it worth becoming one? Is there much going on in that forum? Mind you, I don't know that I have time for any more.
Bree, I am glad the broms are doing well, and that you are happy with them. I tied the king orchid to a palm trunk at eye level, so when it flowers, it will smack me in the face! heh heh. Epidendrum fragrans is just opening flowers now, so I'll add a pic for you.
Wendy, it sounds like you were very popular over Xmas, and were lucky to get so many drink invites, by the sounds. Not much drinking going on here, although there is New Years to celebrate yet!
Pic one is Aechmea carvalhoi
Pic two is Epidendrum fragrans
Pic three is the centre of N. 'Pride Of Ipswich' and a friend here, on Xmas day, was amazed at 'The garden in the middle'
Pic four is N. smithii
Pic five is Canistropsis bilbergioides variegated
Hello to anyone looking in.
Sue

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America