Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: weed_woman picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
weed_woman wrote:
Good Morning.
Ian, I am glad to hear you are on your way home. I will get a parcel off to you later next week. You're not wrong about the word 'Change' meaning alot when it comes to computers. I have a little android tablet, and it comes with no instructions, so it has meant alot of poking, prodding, swiping and googling! I have most of it under control now, but it was very different to using a normal PC. Good luck with learning new things. You sound like an intelligent guy, so I'm sure you will work it out.
Nev, Your ID of Nidularium innocentii var striatum, looks the same as mine. I also have one that looks the same, but has no stripes, and the flower is pink. It is different to everything else I have. I thought it was Nidularium longiflorum at first, but the flower is not right. As for the Aechmea, the ones I have are completely different in the leaf. I have a couple similar to your A. ramosa var festiva (possibly even the exact one) but this one is different. I thought the leaf shape and plant size was similar to A. lueddemaniana, (shade grown) but it was yellow/green overlaid with red, and now the flower spikes are red/orange. I put it over in planet bromeliad on Facebook, but didn't get any hits there, surprisingly. It has been grown in high light so I thought maybe the leaf is usually green? I will have to wait for the flowers to emerge more I guess.
Trish, sounds like you are making the most of your time off. We are the same here. The pool is getting some use this summer, which makes a change from the few previous wet summers.
It sounds like your visitors had a wondeful time, and you may have sparked an interest in one of the girls, to go on to grow bromeliads. Ahhhh, a future customer! heh heh.
The Epidendrum has a beautiful fragrance, and is one to bring inside and enjoy. I inherited it, so whenever it flowers I think of my friend. The Neo smithii is a small grower, just a little larger than a mini. It is a species, so a good one to use in breeding because its genes are stable, and not mixed with multiple hybrids. It has been a very slow grower for me though.
I laughed when I read your notes to Jen on feeding. It sounds as though you are feeding your plants very adequately, and possibly alot more than most growers, so no wonder your plants look so healthy and happy. I try to keep a fertilising routine going with mine, but must admit, it gets a bit haphazard. Luckily for me, they cope.
Bree, how was your Xmas? Are you spending much time in the garden?
Shirley, that Neo. 'Small World' is too cute! Sorry we couldn't identify your NOID for you, but at least we all had a guess! I love that, between us,we have eough experience to have seen or owned a plant of a particular name, which makes identification almost possible for most photos. There will always be NOIDS, and to be honest, I have quite a few, and am happy to have them anyway!
I will quickly dusk out and get a pic of the Epidendrum BRB
Hubby just called me a 'nut job' for being outside in my nightclothes. Its fairly early, and no one around, so why not?
Lets see what i found
Photo one is Epidendrum fragrans, almost in full bloom
Photo two shows V. ospinae var gruberi, top one grown in high light, bottom one in deep shade.
Photo three is Portea petropolitana var extensa in flower.
Photo four is the NOID nidularium that is different than the others. Its like the inoocentii var striatum but no variegation?
Photo five, Nev, I knew I had an Aechmea ramosa!
Sue

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America