Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: Pfg picture (Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013
Pfg wrote:
I got back Thursday night, and went straight to my baggies. To my amazement, I had some sprouts! And 2 out of 3 were huge surprises.

I had potting mix but no seed starting, so I filled 4" pots 2/3 with what I had, then sifted the big particles out and filled another 1/2" or so, and kept some to add after planting if necessary. I mixed 10:1 water:peroxide and added 1 drop of Superthrive. Once planted I put the pots in a propagator to make sure the top of the soil doesn't dry out, and have misted every day at least a couple of times. So far, they are doing well.

The Salvia was not a surprise; Clothier said 2 weeks, and 2 weeks it was, but the sprouts were 1-2" long. They were also embedded in the paper towels. I extricated some, others I cut apart and planted with the paper, sticking a pencil down into the soil to make the hole, then gently nudging the root down. Some broke, I ended up with 10. Plenty.
The Campanula also had germinated enthusiastically, much smaller, and also somewhat embedded. I separated what I could, then planted small bunches.
The Alchemilla babies were tiny, again growing into the paper. Again, I cut sections apart but this time laid them on top of the soil and sprinkled enough sifted mix to just cover all but the longest ones. Today I can see 11.

Of their rest, Here are the details:

Nothing happening yet:
Cold:
Agastache Bolero
Aquilegia Nora Barlow
Aquilegia Maggie Mae
Helianthus Lemon Queen- W 2 wks, then moved to C
Penstemon palmerii

Warm:
Astrantia 'Giant White'
Eryngium Miss Willmott's Ghost
Salvia Azurea
Scabiosa white- C 2wks, then moved to W

That's it for now...

Pam

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America