Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Seed Germination: Pfg picture (Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Pfg wrote:
I got back Thursday night, and went straight to my baggies. To my amazement, I had some sprouts! And 2 out of 3 were huge surprises.

I had potting mix but no seed starting, so I filled 4" pots 2/3 with what I had, then sifted the big particles out and filled another 1/2" or so, and kept some to add after planting if necessary. I mixed 10:1 water:peroxide and added 1 drop of Superthrive. Once planted I put the pots in a propagator to make sure the top of the soil doesn't dry out, and have misted every day at least a couple of times. So far, they are doing well.

The Salvia was not a surprise; Clothier said 2 weeks, and 2 weeks it was, but the sprouts were 1-2" long. They were also embedded in the paper towels. I extricated some, others I cut apart and planted with the paper, sticking a pencil down into the soil to make the hole, then gently nudging the root down. Some broke, I ended up with 10. Plenty.
The Campanula also had germinated enthusiastically, much smaller, and also somewhat embedded. I separated what I could, then planted small bunches.
The Alchemilla babies were tiny, again growing into the paper. Again, I cut sections apart but this time laid them on top of the soil and sprinkled enough sifted mix to just cover all but the longest ones. Today I can see 11.

Of their rest, Here are the details:

Nothing happening yet:
Cold:
Agastache Bolero
Aquilegia Nora Barlow
Aquilegia Maggie Mae
Helianthus Lemon Queen- W 2 wks, then moved to C
Penstemon palmerii

Warm:
Astrantia 'Giant White'
Eryngium Miss Willmott's Ghost
Salvia Azurea
Scabiosa white- C 2wks, then moved to W

That's it for now...

Pam

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America