Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: weed_woman picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
weed_woman wrote:
Good morning you lot.
Nev, it is great how kids like a path way! I have lots of tracks through the gardens, just for access and usually designed by the dogs. Kids love them, and run around when ever they are here.
As for Mango trees as suitable mounts for bromeliads, I can't see why not? They do lose leaves regularly, so it would be wise to clean out the brom tanks on occasion. I think for Tillandsias, they would be perfect.
Thanks for your offer about putting the pics up for ID. I will have to wait for the plant I have to mature a bit more, as the flowering ones went to the markets last week, and I have one left with a new spike. I have plenty of non-flowering ones yet, so I can at least photograph leaves e.t.c.
I looked up Nidularium 'Madonna' on the photo index, but it looks to have alot of spines on both flower and leaf. have you noticed that on the ones you have seen? I have had at least a dozen flowering Nidulariums, (N. rutilans, N. longiflorum, N, 'Leprosa', and N. 'Nana') on my sales table for two months. They are beautiful! but don't sell. most of my customers seem to be looking for sun hardy broms.
Ian, what a huge trip you had. I bet you were stuffed after that? i have had Deuterachonias in the past. They like it hot and dry! I flowered one,and collected seed, but they didn't germinate
SEED! I just remembered, I got seed from Aechmea 'Blush' (an orange recurvata) would anyone like some? The pods were huge, and extremely hard to squeeze the seed from.
Trish, I use my garden as an escape sometimes. If we have visitors and I have had enough and need a break, watering is always a good excuse! Although, I do mine outsied the house! LOL
Try your Vriesea ospinae gruberis with a soil based mix, even straight potting mix, to keep a bit more moisture in. You might find the leaves will stay perky. I don't worry about mine too much, but I water the brom house every three days at this time of the year, so I make sure I give them a bit more than a splash, and I get the hose under the leaves to make sure the soil in the pot gets wet.
I loved your description of berry picking in Bordeaux. I can almost smell the forest earth e.t.c. Were you holidaying or did you spend time there growing up?
Shirley, it sounds as though you needed the sleep. Sometimes our bodys know exactly what we need. Its the right time of year for afternoon naps! (might try one myself later if I want to see in the new Year.) I hope you get your brom time today, and look forward to a few photos.
Wendy, it sounds like you made the hard descision at the right time, and you had a wonderful vet too, by the sounds. Lucky Max. It sounds like he was a very well fed bloke too! heh heh. I'm sure you will think of him fondly for many years to come, with little reminders cropping up from time to time. The ones you love never really leave. Keeping Johnny occupied sounds like a good idea, and a fishing trip away might be the go?
The Nidularium photo looks like the variegated one previously ID'd as Nid. innocentii var striatum, but without the variegation. The last one I posted had more solid colour to the bracts, but in shape and all else, very similar to yours. I got mine in the new collection I purchased, and had put it in with the longiflorums because the leaf is similar. It was only at flowering that I noticed it was somewhat different.
Photo one is the A. recurvata 'Blush' seed pods.HUGE!
Photo two is Tillandsia 'Creation' coming into spike, although it not very big yet.
Photo three and four were both bought as Guzmania 'Conifera' which is right?
I hope everyone enjoys seeing in the new year.
Sue

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America