Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: bromishy picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

It’s been raining pretty much all day long apart from this morning when we took the girls for a walk on the beach at about 6am. I only did about a half hour of gardening in the front yard pruning back our hibiscus trees and then the rain came pelting down sideways with the wind and in a few seconds I was drenched from head to toe, normally I luv gardening in the rain but I actually started feeling really cold with the wind and being in wet clothes did not help so I ended up calling it quits for the day and left a pile of hibiscus cuttings in the front yard to collect tomorrow which is not like me at all as normally I clean as I go and don’t like to leave any mess to wake up to the next day. We also went for a quick dip in the pool at about 6pm but again it was just too cold for me and I got sick of chasing to find pockets of warm water, but hey what a good bit of rain we are getting with more heading our way by the look of the weather radar.

I also collected a fair bit of rainwater in containers so I could give all my vriesea’s in our entertainment area a good drink as I know how much they benefit from it. I think we will look at getting rainwater tanks installed in a year or two given the sheer amount of water we use around the garden, and the more our orchid and brom collection grows the more water we will consume and if we are not careful it is really going to burn a huge hole in our pockets. Having a swimming pool also does not help matters. We do have a bore but it has been dry since about March, today is the first good bit of rain we have had for a long time.

So really it has been an indoor sports day today, watched a couple of movies, did a bit of reading, looked at my brom books and watched the rain and a bit of a storm we had.

Hi Shirley hope you got to spend quality time with your bromeliads today like you wanted, unfortunately the rain had other ideas for me today so I just had to admire them from afar looking at them through glass windows but it gave me time to sit and read my brom and gardening books and I felt like I really relaxed and even snuck in a little nanna nap in there somewhere which did me the world of good.

Shirley nice Pic 1 of your Vr. Sunset in flower, mine is yet to show signs of flowering and no signs of it pupping yet. Do you have any pups on yours yet? I brought mine from an orchid show we went to in Ingham after seeing one on display that had one first prize, it was huge, beautiful and in flower and brought a mature pup for about $10 because I really liked how different it was to some of the other vrieseas I had started collecting and I luved all its bright colours. Shirley also really liked your Pic 2 of Neo ‘Forbidden’, like how it displays those long and short leaves.

Hi Wendy nice to see you back and posting nice brom pics, also sounds like you have been very busy potting up lots of seedlings.

Hi Nev I hope you had a great day, sounds like you were in a bit of a rush this morning. Your Pic 1 Stanhopea Tigrina orchid looks stunning and I can imagine that the vanilla perfume it produces would be pretty intense but lovely. Some of the orchids that Joe has in our nursery floods the place with the smell of vanilla when in flower and the smell wafts through the house when the doors are open.

Hi Sue thanks for your feedback regarding Mango Trees and growing broms on them, I will have to give it a go in 2013 once we have had someone over to cut it back a bit as it is getting way too big and we really want to keep it a nice shape and manageable size.

Sue thanks also for your great advice regarding my Vr. ospinae gruberis, I will give this a try most definitely and let everyone know how they go.

Sue my grandma who passed away many years ago lived in Bordeaux all her life and lived to the ripe old age of 98. We used to visit her as kids and take long walks along the roads amongst the beautiful hills and would pick these beautiful wild berries in the forest. I was actually born in France at a place called Nice. We moved to Australia when I 4yrs old, we went back to visit when I was 7 and we have not been back since but I would like to go back and visit and show Joe where I was born and go back to Bordeaux to visit my grandma’s place and pick wild berries in the forest with him if the forest is still there which my cousins assure me it still is.

Sue those seed pods of your Ae. Recurvate ‘Blush’ are HUGE not at all what you would expect to be produced from this sized brom.

Would anyone happen to have the following broms that I have been chasing for a while, Neo ‘Exotica Velvet’, Neo ‘Exotica Satin’ and Neo ‘Exotica Pink Dawn’? I never see these on EBay or anywhere? Reading my brom books reminded me that I have been chasing these for years along with Neo ‘Reverence’ that I mentioned before.

Hi to anyone else looking in and anyone on the Sick List, we miss hearing from you all.

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year, I am looking forward to chatting with you all in 2013. I have my favourite bottle of champagne ready to pop I just hope we can stay awake long enough to enjoy it LOL.

Take care and Happy Gardening Everyone!

Trish

Pic 1 – Vr. Hieroglyphica Hybrid
Pic 2 – Neo ‘Maya’
Pic 3 – Neo ‘Jean Evans’
Pic 4 – Vr. ‘Zapita’

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America