Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: weed_woman picture (Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
weed_woman wrote:
a new thread for a new years.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292392/

Geeze Shirley. I would have had to get on before bed to beat you!
I trust everyone has seen in the new year with a drink or some celebration?
I had a late one, but am not able to sleep much passed daylight, so will have to get in a nanny nap later in the day.
HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Trish, it sounds like you had a mostly productive day, and to get some rain is a nice start to the new year. Your Vriesea heiroglyphica hybrid look large! Its very attractive too.
Neo. 'Exotica Velvet' is around in Australia. It was tissue cultured though, and doesn't have the striations that you see in Andrew Steens book. I'm not sure that there are any original pups floating around, although the tissue cultured one is a nice deep plum colour, and its quite a large brom. I bought a brom off Ebay, labelled "Exotica Satin' even though I was sure it wasn't. I did quizz the seller about its background, and got the standard 'I bought it from a reputable seller' in reply, but I think its N. rosea striata or somethng similar. Anyway, I didn'y buy it for its name and didn't pay a real lot for it, so nothing lost.
I hope you get back to Bordeaux to pick wild berries one day.
Ian, I'm not sure if you have the right name for the first photo in your post. It looks more like a Vriesea. Aechmea giantea is a big tubular plant that gets a flower, (like A. fasciata) deep down in the centre. I think you are right with Quesnelia liboniana, as the foliage looks about right. Lucky you to have such a good grandson.
Anyway all, Pop on over to the new thread and lets keep this going for another year.
Sue
V. splendens in Leisas garden.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America