Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: Gitagal picture (Help. What is this thing?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Help. What is this thing?

Forum: Plant Identification

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Help.  What is this thing?
Gitagal wrote:
Next morning...............

Linda--you wrote: (wish I knew how to paragraph quotes)

The B. recurvata has been in my greenhouse for about 1.5 years, but my GH is pretty inviting to other species (it has a shade cloth cover). Many of my plants have invasive Oxalis visitors, most or which appear to be of the same species. I think digging around in the Beaucarnea is a great idea and I'll see if I can come up with anything else. Digging up some of my other "guests" is also a great idea. Will do. The mystery continues! LindaM/i>

The more I think about this, the more sure I am now that the remnants of the Oxalis attached to "The Thing"
has nothing to do with "The Thing" itself. These little weeds will grow on anything in the greenhouse.
Linda even says that....If you have ever been inside an older GH--you will see all kinds of things growing
under the tables and on the top of the soil in pots that have been there a while.

SO--assuming this "Thing" has been laying around for a year and a half--these little Oxalis weeds just made
themselves at home in the same pot. What you see at the base of "The Thing" is the remnants of these weeds.
Not necessarily that they are PART of "The Thing"....

May be a new angle to this mystery--but it makes sense to me. I have worked in greenhouses,
and the floor under the tables is disgusting.
In which case--I have to, almost, rescind my idea that it is a tuber from any of the Oxalis.
I do not believe these tiny little weeds make tubers that size.

Here is a picture of a potted plant I just received from someone with a GH.
See the small Oxalis growing on top of the soil? Their roots are pretty spreading and matted.
Gita

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America