Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Pfg picture (Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Pfg wrote:
In the last couple of days I found 1 Salvia Azurea, 3 white Scabiosa, and a bunch of Penstemon Palmerii germinating. They're all in pots in the propagator so they won't get cold or dry out before they have a chance to get their roots settled in the soil.

Erygium Miss Willmott's Ghost and Astrantia are now in the freezer. They've been in the baggies at room temp for 3 weeks, Clothier says 2-4. He says freeze for 4 weeks, then put them in the frig to germinate. I guess the initial warm period is to let them absorb enough moisture to soften the seed coat, then the variations in temps eventually trigger germination.

All my Platycodon seeds are soaking til tomorrow, then Deno. Last year I had great results doing it that way, they germinated in only a few days.

I finally broke down today and set up my 3 shelves in the kitchen window. We have a small table there where we eat breakfast, and the sill is on my side. I had so few pots started I was trying to hold off for a while and just use one tray, but stuff kept accumulating on the floor by my chair. Today DH noticed, so I decided it was time to get it done.

I can't find my heat mats from last year, and that window area gets quite chilly at times. I'm almost positive at least one is here, I seem to remember it being in the way at one point a few months ago, but it is no where to be found. I keep thinking of one more possibility, then one more, have dug deep in well-packed city closets, but no luck yet. I'm also missing the one larger tray I usually have on the sill... I think it's in CT...grrrrr....

My babies look sooooo lonely! But it won't be long before they have lots of company, it soon gets to the point where all I can think of is the Little Shop of Horrors--- feeeeed meeeee! LOL

Pam

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America