Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Insect and Spider Identification: ncaptiva picture (CLOSED: Challenge... ID Based on Stinger? )

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ncaptiva

Subject: CLOSED: Challenge... ID Based on Stinger?

Forum: Insect and Spider Identification

bookmark
<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of CLOSED: Challenge... ID Based on Stinger?
ncaptiva wrote:
I have a real challenge for all you identification geniuses that peruse this site :) I know it's a long shot, but I figured if anyone could do it, it's the people on this forum. Here's what I know....

You can see the photos, obviously, which were taken through an awesome little magnifier that we have. One is of the actual stinger, which was pretty huge (for a stinger) and the other is what I'm guessing is a bit of exoskeleton perhaps that was left behind with the stinger.

Whatever it was, it stung my dog's foot. NOT the bottom of her foot, as if she stepped on it... the top of her foot, as if it crawled onto her paw and stung her (vicious little jerk). So I would guess that whatever it is, it's aggressive.

Also, it happened after dark/at night, and it happened in Sarasota, FL. I'd guess around 8:30 - 9pm.

Lastly, and this is why I want to know so badly what it is... this particular dog has a "thing" for hunting wasps & hornets. She gets stung on the face & in her mouth all the time as a result of it, and she hardly reacts at all. She's been stung by some pretty nasty looking wasps & whatnot, and hardly flinched. And for the record, she was not messing with/hunting any bugs when this happened.

When this thing stung her tonight, she was literally doing backflips in the yard. Whatever it was, it had to deliver an incredibly painful sting to cause her to react this way.

The site of the sting swelled up into a big knot... smaller than a golf ball, bigger than a marble. (lol, I can't think of anything that's about that size).

It was painful to her until I removed the stinger. After that, she didn't lick much more, and she allowed me to touch it. Before I removed the stinger, she would hardly let anyone touch it.

This is a short-haired dog, and I could just barely see the end of the stinger sticking out through her fur... which amazed me, because it meant the stinger was REALLY long... for a stinger.

Ok so I think that's about all the detail I have. I REALLY hope it's enough for someone to throw some educated guess my way :) I was thinking maybe scorpion or something? I'll leave the guessing up to the experts, though!

Thanks so much everyone!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America