Photo by Melody

Seed Germination: warriorswisdomkathy picture (Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright warriorswisdomkathy

In reply to: Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013
warriorswisdomkathy wrote:
Lol, ya but what am I going to do when I fill up ALL my areas? lol. That was the whole purpose to moving to the country. So I could have as much garden (or should I say flowers) as I wanted and have a well..... I just have to get ahead of those darn grasses.

Yup, I will have to see what I can get planted this year. I may have to battle those grasses in the backyard this spring as I know all that rototilling didn't get them all. That's why I am glad winter came, so come early spring I can get any that come back before I start intensively planting the perenns. and annuals. And I have plans to draw up, for me and susie. I just love having all those plants.... When I start this spring I will be able to go out and grab a tray of whatever and fill a whole location with one type of plant. I want drifts of color in the back, again trying not to use the same ones in the main border. There may be a few repeats, but I hope not too many, as there is soo much plant material to choose from. But what I do happen to repeat will be considered as tie ins to the other parts of the gardens.

It may seem like I'm starting early, but come later this winter when I start potting on, I will need all the extra time I can get before spring planting time. If not, I have found that I'm still potting things come July and I definately wanna get things ready before that...yikes... Nothing worse than finding I'm wanting a certain plant and it's still sitting in a pot waiting for me to pot it on and then substitute something else.... And if I had had to buy most of my plants, I believe my garden would be very small....lol.... Such wonderful things hobbies can be...lol, mine just happens to be plants....
The last few days I've been working on a list of all the tall plants, 4ft and over (mostly that are hardy in my area), yes annuals too. So far have managed to compile a list of approximately 60 plants and did not include vines or srubs with the exception of roses. Trying to keep in mind what the deer can't see over they won't jump. I have found that the deer don't bother the areas that are intensly planted. They may nibble around the edges but won't go into the thick of it so to speak...lol. And if they see nothing but a wall, they may find somewhere else to brouse....

I hope you enjoy those Dianthus x.L., they are lovely, make sure to put some close to the house so you can enjoy their fragrance, and keep them deadheaded as they will bloom the whole season if you can keep them clean....lol. Ya, I know, good intentions.. Remember to collect seed as they are not long lived also...maybe 3 or 4 years ish.. they are one of those plants that bloom themselves out....just a tidbit.

Ok, I've talked your ear off, hope you don't mind if I ramble on..

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America