Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: gavengi picture (CLOSED: Need help with ID of two houseplants, and advice for care!)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gavengi

Subject: CLOSED: Need help with ID of two houseplants, and advice for care!

Forum: Plant Identification

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of CLOSED: Need help with ID of two houseplants, and advice for care!
gavengi wrote:
Hello all!

I'm new to plant-owning. My father, a prolific plant-lover, recently passed away, leaving about 30 houseplants. Most of these were given to plant-loving friends with green thumbs and I'm sure they have great homes.
I wanted to keep a couple to remember him, so took two of what looked to be the same plant, but neglected to ask anyone what they were.

During the moving of the plants, one fell to the side, and some of its soil was knocked loose. I had to repack the pot with a bit more potting soil. I then had this plant upstairs in my house, and one downstairs. The plants didn't like direct sunlight, and didn't seem to like being watered often. After a few months of experimentation, both were doing very well and I was proud of myself!

A few weeks ago, however (about half a year since I brought the plants home), I noticed the upstairs plant (the one whose soil was knocked around) was very wilted. In my house the heating is a bit wacky, and the 2nd floor is about 20 degrees warmer than the ground floor. Since the downstairs plant seemed to be doing very well, I thought maybe upstairs was too hot and moved it down. But this didn't seem to help.

I'm watering about once every two weeks. I don't know if this is correct, but as you can see from the pictures the left plant is green and its stems are firm and springy. The right one is wilted and dying, and is growing very strangely, with seemingly too many stems and leaves in erratic growth patterns when compared to the left. I'm hoping trimming/clipping it might help, but since I don't know what I'm doing I haven't tried this yet.

Long story short, please help me with IDing these plants, and if possible point me in the direction of how to care for them!

Thank you!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America