Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: Pfg picture (Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013
Pfg wrote:
Last year I had some in 6-packs until spring but I started much later. Funny, I mixed up labels on one pack and planted them In the ground thinking they were annuals. Much to my surprise, tho they stayed small, they flowered. The ones in gallon pots didn't. I'm hoping by giving them a better start they'll get a little more height. Still for now they're in the larger 6-packs as I was running out of potting mix. As soon as they fill the cells I'll move at least some of them up.

I do the same thing you do, start shoving the plants outside as soon as possible, plastic, Reemay, whatever. Not the Platys, I'll keep them warm as long as I can, but it's amazing how much cold so many other plants can take. That doesn't start until the beginning of April when we open the house. That's the first cooling off, as we keep the house at 60 when we're not there during the week. I have heat mats for germination and the really tender seedlings, but the rest actually do well away from the city heat, not so much tall spindly growth. Then as I start the annuals, the tougher plants get booted out to make room. Most perennials, some herbs and snaps are first to go.... Months away still...

Glad you're feeling better!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America