Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: blomma picture (Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright blomma

In reply to: Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013
blomma wrote:
warriorwisedomkathy,
Ohhhhh....what I could do with all that space. I have a small yard in town and irises and Daylilies grow on 3 sides plus in the back .

To answer your questions, I sell on Ebay and Lily Auction, both plants and seeds. I sow a certain amount of seeds from each cross, then sell the rest. Or save until the following year. I also wanted to hybridize for a number of years, but put it off thinking it is too involved. Then, found a pod on one of irises and the rest is history....I was hooked. Figured if I can do Irises, I can do daylilies.

My addiction now revolved around these 2 cultivars. I gave many of my other plants to my daughter to give me more room for seedlings. Sold my common daylilies purchased years ago from Walmart for I discovered the uncommon, beautiful ones so purchased those as stock plants, now totalling 69. And my first love---irises---I have 187. Plenty of parents to work with for seeds.

I can hardly wait till this summer since many seedlings of both will bloom for the first time at age 3. A few from 2011 may also bloom. The only bad thing about hybridizing is the actual crossing----6am before I go to work. That is when it is the coolest. Daylilies blooming end of June and on during the hottest time of the year have a hard time setting pods if not crossed when it is cool.

Below ae 144 iris seedlings sowed winter 2011, planted in nursery May 2012. Second photo is to show pots in bin for acclimation

When I was doing all kinds of seeds and before I bought that stand, I placed the potted seedlings in large clear bins from Walmart to harden them off with morning sun. If bad weather threatened, cover went on. If freezing weather, the bin could easily be carried into the house overnight.

To help, I save the pollen from early blooming plants to pollinate later blooming ones. My freezer is full of pollen to be used next season.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America