Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: blomma picture (Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright blomma

In reply to: Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013
blomma wrote:
Pfg
Why do you feel you have to sprinkle something on top of tiny seeds. If I remember correctly, Penstemon seeds are very tiny. Too tiny to make it to the surface. When I sowed them, I never covered them. I used fine peatmoss and blended the seeds into it. I did that with all tiny seeds.

Another was is to make a furrow in the mix, then pour the seeds into the furrow. With your fingers, just bring the sides of the mix closer so they are in contact with the mix, yet not covered. I have done it that way for years until started using peatmoss.

Personally, I wouldn't bother using coir but thanks for the explanation. Walmart have the seed mix.

Below is this year's sowing of Daylilly seeds. Some purchased, others my own. All with Deno method.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2013 10:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America