Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: RickCorey_WA picture (How and when to use a cold frame?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright RickCorey_WA

In reply to: How and when to use a cold frame?

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of How and when to use a cold frame?
RickCorey_WA wrote:
I think it depends on how effective the cold frame is. For example, if you have plenty of sun and no wind, and the cold frame has no leaks and good insulation, it should be like a safe, warm greenhouse that will keep plants warm enough all night. Just don't cook 'em!

But if the cold frame has leaks (like mine) or is in the shade (like mine), or you have a lot of wind any ANY leaks, they might not like the chills at night.

Do you have any recording thermometer? I found a cheap battery-powered one that remembers high and low temps. That would tell you how cold (or hot) it got while you weren't watching.

My plan was to not let my seedlings get too accustomed to "warm" for a long time. I can almost expect some late, unexpected cold snap. Or rather, there are always long warm spells that occur BEFORE spring is "really" here. I'm afraid that my cold frame might protect them too much in early warm spells, but soften them too much to survive a last chill.

I haven't actually used a successful cold frame yet, so I really hope that someone more experienced will chime in!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America