Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: blomma picture (Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright blomma

In reply to: Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013
blomma wrote:
I was just thinking (dangerous for me) how come none of you gardener gals/guys mention or have a coldframe? I could not garden without one when I was sowing a bunch of perennials. I still use it for extra room for small seedlings of iris and daylilies.

It is a simple box of scrap lumber the size of a door. Was going to use a glassed door but decided to build a frame to hold shade cloth instead. I built it agains a link fence so I could have something to hold up the cover when not needed.

I sowed seeds in the spring and when large enough to handle into the coldframe they would go. I sowed the second batch of seeds in July. By the time August rolled around the first batch were large enough to plant out, leaving room in the coldframe for the second batch of seedlings. These would stay in the coldframe all winter. By spring they were husky plants. They were never babied. It was a test to see how hardy they were. I gardened for years in Massachusetts, then Nebraska. Both had a warmer climate than Wyoming and you never had to water in Mass.

Below is my first coldframe, and my new one filled with iris seedling planted May 2012

I owned and operated a commercial greenhouse in Nebraska specializing in drought resistant perennials for the midwest. Plus houseplants. Coming from Massachusetts it was a learning experience and a culture shock.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America