Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Seed Germination: warriorswisdomkathy picture (Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright warriorswisdomkathy

In reply to: Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
warriorswisdomkathy wrote:
blomma, I don't have a cold frame as such...lol. But what I do have is a horse stall on the backside of the garage, 13ft wide x 15-18 ft deep (can't remember). I use 12 or 14 mil plastic to enclose the whole thing and move plants out as they grow a bit and I've potted them on for a few weeks... Only those things that can handle to cooler temps go out first. Dianthus, daisies, Verbascums, ie. plants that begin bloom earliest in the season. I also cover the plants as needed with a sheet of remay til they toughen up a bit. It's located on the west side but the sun doesn't hit it til after 12pm and the trees and the top of the hill cut off direct sun about 3-4pm. I vent by pulling back the plastic as the season progresses, but only when needed. I have two cold frames on the backside of the house I built several years ago til I went to the back of the garage where the corral area is located. There's also enough room in the corral (which is fenced) to put up an 8x10 greenhouse..may plastic it in again just not sure yet as the wind is very nasty on that side and I've had problems with it a few years ago.....It's a wind tunnel area.....

Pix 1 tree line above me to the west, edge of corral gate on the right, 5 of the 7 trees on the 5 acre property are located toward the top
Pix 2 is the area where the wind comes from in spring, and the location my summer rain deluges come from in July, (MY backyard pix where I've been installing my landscaping this fall ('12), so far put in 167 trees and shrubs. this spring and summer most of the babies I'm growing now will be going in....(the pots are 170+ Iris g. that went in late November, around and inbetween shrubs).

I use the 1" mini blinds from walmart $3-5ish ( the widest for the cheapest....), I cut them apart into approx 1/2"x21/2", bigger if needed, have used Sharpie(perm.) markers but they fade after a few years, at 6800 ft. that probably more often than those that live at a lower altitude...am experimenting with with 2 different lablers to see which I like best and is sunfast for me...

More potting on today, will get back to it after supper of when I get done goofing around here...lol....No No Don't get the whip out!!!!!

Hey pam ....is there something wrong with my eyesight or is there something wrong with your pix????? LOL. (last nights post, am supprised noone said anything yet....lol...see I do look at the pix here......

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America