Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Identification: Chillybean picture (CLOSED: The Ol' Sharpie vs. Cooper's)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Chillybean

Subject: CLOSED: The Ol' Sharpie vs. Cooper's

Forum: Bird Identification

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of CLOSED: The Ol' Sharpie vs. Cooper's
Chillybean wrote:
Up to this point we've only seen Cooper's in our yard. We usually see the markings to verify them as such. We have seen Sharp-shinned, but we've always been elsewhere with the experienced who point them out to us. At home, we're on our own. :)

I was about to pass this off for a Cooper's but just want to make sure. I didn't see the legs or tail. I have been looking at this link trying to figure this out.
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/accipi...
I will say I cannot see the eye difference the site brings up with the Sharp-shinned Hawk's appearing more centered between front and back of head.

Is this a sub-adult? This has an eyebrow and a few white feathers. If this is a Cooper's, I am not seeing the darker "cap". I put a picture of the back of the head on here, if it will help with the id. Sorry about the wonky colors. I have no idea what setting my son used. The middle one is the most true to life- he changed something on the camera.

Thank you so much.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America