Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Pfg picture (Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013
Pfg wrote:
I think you're talking about the pic of my NY window set-up followed by the WS project I got my daughter into. They just moved into their house fall of 2011 and need everything.

The first summer they tried a few things that for one reason or another didn't work out... The deer got some stuff, the irrigation wasn't working right, and the last straw was that kid they hired to mulch buried all the little babies I'd started for her, that she'd nurtured for a couple of months. He's history, lol! This year she wants to get serious. They have this big elevated deck, perfect for WS, and there isn't that much room inside for seeds without making a mess. So last weekend we spent a day getting her going. Their local nursery has Pro Mix, but for pots we had to use Solo cups, I was already getting low. Now I have plenty, my order came today from Greenhouse Megastore.

I guess the grass is always greener... I love what you've done, and I love seeing the before and along the way. Lucky you to have a space to bring up the babies... So you can go 'shopping' on your own property... I usually have a collection of pots sitting around that I don't know what to do with, and I usually lose a few This year I bought a bunch of decent sized self-watering pots on sale at Wal-mart, about a dozen, I figured I'll stick a bunch of babies in those so they don't get neglected and croak. If they do anything good I can always find some place they'll be appreciated. But boy, would I ever love a nursery bed...

You and I have been at it about the same amount of time. In 2007, the first year, I went to CT, I tried to be subtle...two reasons: One, I knew it would be a huge job to turn the place around and I wasn't sure I wanted it (my first thought was. ('Ooooohhhhhhh S***!!!), and Two, new relationship, didn't want to seem too aggressive (lol, I guess he saw through that!). Now we're newlyweds, but the jig has been up in the garden since that summer. By the end of it I ruled.

Isn't it fun to be able to play with mature-ish plantings, begin to make real statements instead of all that babying--- and killing! I don't have even one picture from 2009 because everything was so ugly... Either dead or dying, or minuscule, or bare brown earth. Last year I barely used Roundup at all for the first time. I will have to again this spring because I let a section get away from me that had been cleared, now it's a mess again and there's some nasty stuff in it. I meant to lay down cardboard on it this fall but never got to it. So if I want to plant this spring I have to get drastic. Oh well... Win some, lose some... But not for long! HAH! I rule! Lolol...

Nothing new in the nursery, except that I got a blind and made a bunch of 2" tags, and another bunch of 6" for later and still have enough for 20 times that at least.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America