Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: Pfg picture (Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Here goes... Pretreatment: Starting the first seeds for 2013
Pfg wrote:
Kathy, you asked about Ceratotheca triloba, South African Foxglove a while ago...

Pic is today. It sprouted on 1/15 after 4 days, Deno method, then moved into cells. I just lost one, these 9-cell packs don't quite hit the capillary matting and dry out.

For some reason the holes in the bottom are slightly raised and have to be pushed down hard when I fill them, which I didn't realize at first. Even that doesn't always work. I've moved a few things into other containers and watch the rest carefully now that I know. Good thing we're going to be around for the next few weeks. By the time we go away again in March they'll all be in different containers. I won't use those packs again unless I can figure a way to make them more reliable. I can't imagine putting wicks in every single cell, too much fiddling, I do enough already. I just got some 6-packs which look better, and the wide ones are fine. And to think I bought all new this year just to prevent this problem. Last year some re-cycled cell packs were indented on the bottom and I lost some seedlings... Grrrrr....

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America