Kathy, I did get vermiculite. It worked well for the Digitalis, just a light sprinkle. I put a dusting- less than 1/8" -around the Veronicas and Verbascums, and nothing has surfaced yet. I took more seeds of each the other day and did the Deno method.
The Verbascum Wedding Candles seed is from a volunteer plant from last summer. The parent (purchased) bloomed two years ago and vanished. Was I ever surprised to see it in the rock wall! Pic 1 is the secondary bloom, the first was just one long spike, pic 2. I have no idea where the roots found room... In this pic it's just above the lichen-covered rock near the bottom in the middle, sticking out sideways from left to right.
I still have more seeds of that, if you want some.
One of the Veronicas is a low-growing blue. I got it from Bluestone last summer, only 1 of 3 made it, but it was lovely and I'd like more. The other is Fairytale, a silvery pink from the robin, which is new for me. So I'll keep trying...
I actually have a lot of a Veronicas, if you want some: Sunny Border Blue, V incana Pure Silver, Icicle, Eveline, Romiley Purple, Red Fox.... I love them all.