Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: spunorthodox picture (Kitty Litter Biochar)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright spunorthodox

Subject: Kitty Litter Biochar

Forum: Beginner Gardening Questions

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Kitty Litter Biochar
spunorthodox wrote:
So we've all heard that carnivore/pet poop is generally not a good thing to add to compost or garden beds. Mostly because it may contain bad microbes and parasites like Toxoplasma gondii; and also because it can burn the roots of the plants that you bury it near in garden beds....
...but what if... you burn it all... the pee, the poop. All of it.

Cat pee is made of uric acid (-->ammonia), electrolytes, and water. Ammonia is considered a green fuel, that although "caustic" is still cleaner than gasoline. It's bi-products are Nitrogen and water. Electrolytes are a fancy way of saying minerals.

Cat Poop is undigested cat food (bacteria included) with Nitrogen, phosphate, and potash....and carbon of course.

I use the 3-tiered paint can, tomato can, soup can contraption (goofy pic attached) to burn my woody yard debris, which turns wood into soil nourishing char coal instead of ash.

I rent an apartment so I have to go somewhere remote, like the camp grounds of a public park, to burn the wood. I'd love to try also burning the cat pee and poop that I get out of the litter box, but I'm already getting stink eye from the park rangers. The last thing I need to reassure them of is that "it's only cat excrement that I'm burning, don't worry".

So I'm wondering, has anybody tried burning cat stuff? That's my more pressing question...how does it smell? Would I have to burn my clothes too if I ever attempted it? Then the secondary question is, what effect has anyone innovative (crazy) enough to do this noticed in their garden?

Any feedback is good feedback. Even if it's "you're stupid"...because I'm rubber and you're glue :)

Thanks!
Keith

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America