Photo by Melody

Seed Germination: blomma picture (How and when to use a cold frame?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright blomma

In reply to: How and when to use a cold frame?

Forum: Seed Germination

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of How and when to use a cold frame?
blomma wrote:
I don't know about anyone else but I couldn't garden without a coldframe. My first one was made of railroad ties. I worked great. I moved from NE to WY bought a house and the first thing I did was to build a coldframe. It is the size of a door with a frame that holds shade material.

My coldframes was never intended to keep plants from freezing. I used to start many perennials in the spring, to be planted in the coldframe until Aug when they were large enough to plant in the garden. In Aug I would sow more and they would spend the winter in the coldframe. It tested the hardy from the non hardy in my zone 4. It also gave me a measure of control over small seedlings before they were large enough to plant in the garden.

The coldframe was placed against my fence so that the fence could hold the top open. I used the shading when the seedlings were first planted. It also shaded from the hot westen sun when it was open.

1] Below is my first built coldframe against the fence. It is the only one that has a shade cover.
2] Purchased coldframe with daylily seedlings.
3] Another purchased coldframe with Iris seedlings.

I have a 4th that is attached to the 3 the on in the 3rd photos. My soil in all coldframes have been amended since I have clay soil.

Now I use the coldframes mainly for iris and daylily seedlings from my crosses.

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America