Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: captKirkS picture (Will my Kale get any uglier?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright captKirkS

Subject: Will my Kale get any uglier?

Forum: Beginner Flowers

bookmark
Back to post
Photo of Will my Kale get any uglier?
captKirkS wrote:
I'm totally new to Kale and just saw them at Lowe's and snapped them up as a great filler between my individual shrubs for the Winter. They were tiny 2 pint plants a few months ago and have grow exponentially! Now that the warm weather and lots of sun is here, they are growing large stems at the top with flowers. Although I like the flowers, I think the stems are ugly.

My questions are:
1) are the stems permanent?
2) should I expect them to get much taller than the 17 inches they are now?
3) can I trim the ugly pink stems back to the main part of the plant without harming it?
4) are they heat/humidity proof? (It get's brutally hot here in Mississippi during the Summer and they will get 6+ hours of full sun during the day.)

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America