Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Identification: AubreyB picture (CLOSED: What Bird?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright AubreyB

Subject: CLOSED: What Bird?

Forum: Bird Identification

bookmark
<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of CLOSED: What Bird?
AubreyB wrote:
I have a beautiful bird at my feeder I have never seen before! And I have spent HOURS scouring the internet with no luck. I am just a beginner at birds, but I thought I knew all of the local ones...

Sorry for the bad pictures, they are through an old screen in our new home, and we havent changed them yet...

He is bigger than my normal sparrows, but he is shaped like one. His beak is pink/orange. His cap is very dark in shade, but shines with a reddish tone in the sun. He has a very faint grey line down the center of his head. His cheaks are a brown.
Here is what throws me off...
His throat, breast, and rump (under his tail) are a lush buttery yellow! So yellow in the sun, the first time I saw him, I thought he was a Goldfinch!
His tummy, however, is whiteish. He has no markings on his breast or tummy at all.

Standing next to my cardinals, he is the same size, but broader in the shoulders.

He is so pretty and very brave...The first 2 photos he is actually watching me photograph him! The last photo is a finch with him on the feeder.

If anyone knows what he is, please let me know! So far, he is the only one, but I would love to see more!

Thank you!!

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America