Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: teainthegarden picture (CLOSED: Is this hydrangea arborescens, an Annabelle?)

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright teainthegarden

Subject: CLOSED: Is this hydrangea arborescens, an Annabelle?

Forum: Plant Identification

bookmark
Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of CLOSED: Is this hydrangea arborescens, an Annabelle?
teainthegarden wrote:
[Note: I later posted A PICTURE OF A BLOOM in a reply farther down.]

I've been reading all over the internet and I thought that I id'ed my hydrangea shrubs as Annabelles and started cutting away, but then realized that much of the green shoots is coming out of what looks like old, dead wood. Here is a description:

--The leaves are NOT shaped like oaks and not like hearts.
--When in bloom, the flowers heads are round, first green then white, if I remember correctly.
--Here are photos I took today. If they are not clear enough I can take more.
--I don't generally prune it other than trying to clean it up a bit this time of the year.
--It is growing among ferns and who knows what else.
--Many of the branches are lying on the ground. Perhaps the kids were running around in there when snow was still on the ground or maybe it's just from the heavy snow.
--It has light tan, smooth, thin "bark" covering the stems/branches.
--The insides of the stems I cut are white.
--The blooms were small last year but normally they are LARGE.

The first picture, the one with the leaves, is part of a branch I had to cut because the branch was broken. The 4th picture, the dead branch looking one, I cut because there was nothing green growing on it and I thought it was dead, but after I cut it I noticed that the underlying wood is brown with parts that are green (see photo with stem only). The core of the inside is soft and white. The dried bloom (last photo) is from this branch. I put a penny next to it so you could tell the size; normally they are larger.

The picture outside is another of the same type of shrub. The top of the plant has green leaves, like in the other photo, along various branches and even higher up than what you can see in the photo.

Thanks for your help. I don't want to cut what I shouldn't.

This message was edited May 9, 2013 10:13 AM

This message was edited May 9, 2013 10:44 AM

This message was edited May 9, 2013 9:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America