Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

pond waste as fertilizer?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi there -- have followed and enjoyed this forum but never posted before. Will be very grateful if someone can answer this question: We have four koi in a smallish pond. When my husband cleans the filter, pretty much every day, he empties the bucket he cleaned it in onto our garden, a different area every day. My question is, is this pure nitrogen? Any idea how strong it might be, or what kind of effect it might be having if any on our plants? Thanks very much. Sorry if this has been answered before.... Laura

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I backwash my filters into my herb garden ( I dont use chemicals, only salt and a uv light) All that fish poop hasn't bothered anything as of yet!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks MerryMary, do you think it's been beneficial? I suppose if it's nitrogen, then that would be good for herbs since it's foliage and not flowers you're after...????

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I cant guarantee it's been beneficial, just easier to dispose of! I unhook the tubing and let her blow! It just happens that that's where my herbs are. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.