Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cooking: Meatloaf

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 8, Views: 119
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LiliumLily
Chandler, AZ

June 9, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6664667

Why does my meatloaf crack? Any ideas??? Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 22, 2009
5:55 AM

Post #6721570

Hard to answer your question... How do you make it? I think the clue is in the recipe.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6725355

Could be uneven heat in the oven--you know how ovens cycle on and off--the outside of the meat would cook faster and tighten up causing the uncooked center and juices to make a crack maybe. Just supposing:lol:

I stopped cooking mine in a loaf pan and just cover a baking sheet with heavy duty foil and 3 pieces of bread beneath the meat that I make into a free form loaf. The bread absorbs a lot of the grease and then you can just toss bread and foil when cooled off.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 23, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6725844

Toss? The bread? OH NO...it must taste heavenly!!!

A friend of mine used to make a 'Swedish Meat Loaf' which she cooked on top of the stove in cream of mushroom soup, undiluted...turning it over a couple of times. Delicious!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #6726105

OK--ya got me--the bread is super good and full of fat:lol: I don't even want the meatloaf if I eat a little of the bread:lol:

That Swedish Meatloaf sounds pretty good too!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 23, 2009
5:14 AM

Post #6726342

It is! Just make the meatloaf you usually make...brown it in a frying pan like a mongo hamburger and then add a can of mushroom soup (or onion soup, or tomato soup or...) and simmer for about... until it is done. The 'gravy' is to die for, and if you bake potatoes...?

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6777437

German Meatloaf

1-1/2 Lb either meatloaf pack (beef-veal -pork- ground). I like all pork
1/2C fine chopped onion
1/2 italien bread soaked in water until soft
1/2 C chopped parsley
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste

Make a dough with above ingredients (squeeze-ing out all the water possible)
place 1/2 C flour on wax paper, form a loaf with meat dough roll in flour to cover all side, shaping a nice loaf about 7" long (you can also place hardboiled eggs into center and then cover to make the loaf. bake at 350 deg. for about 15 minutes.
Place a can of cream of mushroom soup on top and continue baking for another 45 minutes. Take out meatloaf and add a bit of water creating a nice gravy with the mushroooms soup the meatloaf tidbits and the browing along the sides. Serve with mashed potatoes and a string bean salad
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6778657

Lilliium I used to have that splitting/breaking problem. I found that bread or cracker crumbs work for me better than oatmeal. I also chop my onion and pepper more finely. An egg and very thorough mixing is also important. At last I can slice my meatloaf instead of it breaking up into chunks.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 5, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6778815

Maybe you need two eggs? Or 1egg/1egg white? More binder. I also let my mix 'set' for about 20 mins before I cook it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America