Photo by Melody

Upper Midwest Gardening: Is something wrong with these daisies?

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6665864

I feel like this clump of daisies doesn't look as healthy as another clump I have in a different bed. They got really really tall and have bloomed (obviously) but the lower foliage is brown and shriveled (like it got burnt or something) and I don't see any new, unopened buds like I do on the other clump. These were transplanted from my dad's garden last summer. Should I cut them way back and let them try to do their thing again?

Thumbnail by jcoakley
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6665873

Here's another shot of the whole clump.

Thumbnail by jcoakley
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #6667918

What have you got to lose, cut them back.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #6667949

I had some shasta daisies turn sickly on me last year, I think it was just too much rain. They had decent drainage and were several years old, but there I guess there was just too much water for them. This spring has been ridiculously wet too, I wonder if the same thing is happening with yours?
jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6668099

I thought of that tyro (b/c it sure as heck hasn't been too hot & dry for them, LOL) but the clump in the backyard is in a bed with a lot more clay and it's the one that looks healthy. Who knows. I think I will cut them back though. With the withered tulips in front of them that area is looking just a little too sloppy for me. :)
onegoodman1955
Normal, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6671216

I learned the hard way, of all my perennials I don't water daisies during normal spring and summers. It wasn't until last year that I figured out to just leave 'em alone.

I don't see any black/rot. I'd leave 'em alone and see if grow out of it. You cut cut off the very tops to encourage more growth and fill out.

Good luck !

enya_34
Madison, WI

June 16, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #6696923

I lost a large clump of daisies last year, springnish time too. Funny how low growing sedums did just fine in the same spot but the tall ones sucumbered. That's why I suspected excess water too.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America