Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: Basil Leaves turning brown HELP

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 7, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Jarsh83
Greenwood, IN

June 10, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6665869

Can someone help, I am having a problem with my basil it leaves are turning brown and curling upwards!! It looks like this

Thumbnail by Jarsh83
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6668762

I have the same problem and am growing them in containers.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #6669057

How much sun are they getting? Could be sunscorch.

I am growing two in containers. One was doing beautifully underneath a tall pine tree, with moderate, but not full sun. The other was in full sunshine, and just wilted all day. I moved them together under the tree, and now both have taken off. They also seem to be water hogs, and I generally give them a good watering in the evening after I get home. One is in a clay pot, the other in a plastic pot. There's a definite trick to keeping
that clay pot basil happy!

Our weather has turned the heat up (avg. 94 this week), so they are in the process of bolting right about now. Have sent up a stem for blooms. Don't know anything about basil seed-saving, or whether these were hybrids or not.

I am watching this thread.

Linda
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #6669080

Me, too, Linda. My garden kind of got away from me as my mind has not been there. I have 5-6 varieties of basil and they are all blooming. aacckk. Lots of herbs are no longer viable after that. Any idea?

Christi
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6669514

My Italian Basil (seeds from critterologist) bloomed for the whole last half of the season last year, from about July on. That didn't affect the herb quality of the leaves at all. We picked and picked them fresh - then in October I cut the plants down, stripped off all the leaves, chopped them in a food processor, and froze them. We're still using those, and the quality is great. My wife froze some of them with water in ice cube trays, and she likes to use those best. It's real easy to add the ice cubes to whatever dish she's making.

It was easy to save seeds, also. When I cut the plants down the bloom spikes had all turned crisp and brown. I cut those off and kept them in a big glass jar over the winter. This spring I crushed those by hand into a powder in an aluminum pie pan.

Kind of like panning for gold, shake the pie pan sideways while blowing the light chaff away. The tiny black seeds are heavy, and they'll stay in the bottom of the pan.

I gave a bunch of basil seeds away and planted a bunch, and got real good germination this year. My basil plants in the garden are still small, they're slow growing from seed.
Jarsh83
Greenwood, IN

June 10, 2009
8:53 PM

Post #6669753

Okay thanks everyone I will try moving it to a different less sunnier spot!!

Thanks
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6669834

I have two that are on the porch that get afternoon sun only and they are doing great. The one that looks bad is on the front step and gets all day sun. Maybe I should move it up to the others and see what happens..

Gymgirl, so if I understand you the one in the clay pot would require more water? I was thinking about transplanting to a clay pot.. But if the pot takes most of the water, that wont work..
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #6669903

I usually buy pkgs of herbs in the late winter. I'm a lazy gardner. Just pitch the seed in any spot that appears to be empty. Every single seed must have germinated this year. I have thinned them a couple of times and given the little seedlings to others to grow. Goodness they smell good. Many times I leave a few herb plants of whatever to make seed and just let them lay down where they are. Comes back next year. Especially cilantro. Told you I was lazy gardner.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America