Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Beekeeping: one week later sting site is still painful

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 3, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mjbee
Huntersville, NC

June 10, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #6668390

One of my honeybees got caught in my curly hair and stung the back of my head a week ago. The site is swollen and tender and is at the base of my head, just left of center. Everytime I move my neck it stretches or sqeezes the area and hurts. The site isn't red or bumpy--just painful and occassionally itchy. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it because I got stung on the head? I've never had a sting cause so much discomfort.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2009 6:16 PM
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

June 12, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6675782

I got stung last week they day after some surgery where they gave me a BIG dose of benadryl so I wouldn't react to the contrast dye. I scraped he stinger off and it never reacted a bit, within an hour or so, you couldn't even tell where it was. Well, 4 days later when all the benadryl wore off, I got a bump and terrible itchies. If you got a big dose of the venim, it couls react for days. t also may be possible that the stinger got broken off in the skin and is causing the reaction. Have someone take a close look. Otherwise, because there is nothing between skull and skin on the head, a bump we wouldn't notice anywhere else of the body makes a tight swelling on the head.

Try a little benadryl cream and if it is not better, I'd have it checked.
curzio
Kenosha, WI

June 13, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6680031

I'm using an essential oil to treat the area. Last year as I was tending my beans I got stung on my upper lip. After immediatly applying the essential oil the swelling and discomfort were minimal - within 24 hours you could not tell that I was stung.

I'm using an essential oil blend made by Young Living called Purification - you can google to find the company - if you want to order directly you need a sponsor number to set-up an account. My number is 782355 and you are welcome to give my number as your sponsor.

Please post a testimonial if you try it and you are as impressed as I am. My bees are very gentle and I don't get stung very often, but I have used this oil every time with great benefit.
Stlhead
On the Olympic Penin, WA
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6695097

Charcoal poltice on the sting!! (CharcoalRemedies.com)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America