Photo by Melody

Article: Tropical Hibiscus - Fragile, Fleeting, and Fabulous: Hibiscus Problem! Help!

Communities > Forums > Article: Tropical Hibiscus - Fragile, Fleeting, and Fabulous
bookmark
Forum: Article: Tropical Hibiscus - Fragile, Fleeting, and FabulousReplies: 3, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cherita
Madison, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #6670340

My favorite flower is Hibiscus. I have never had a problem until this year. I recently planted a tree Hibiscus in a pot and the leaves are rapidly turning yellow and there are no blooms. I have tried to water consistently, not overwatering nor letting it dry out too much. The pot gets a few hours of sun but not all day sun. I had a Hibuscus in the same spot last year which bloomed beautifully. I used Miracle Gro Potting Soil when I planted this and read that this potting soil is not good for most plants. I mixed a cup of vinegar to a gallon of water yesterday and poured on it because I had read online this may help. Any suggestions?
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 11, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6671323

Hi Cherita...I hope I can help. I sounds like your hib may have gotten too much phosphorous. This will cause the leaves to yellow, and no blooms. I think you may be guilty of "killing with kindness"...hibs seem to do best when they are nearly neglected. I would do a couple of things here...

Check very closely to see if you have any pests...scale ( a white growth near the base of the plant and climbing up each branch) can be very tiny, almost looking like dried salt or something...easily removed with a strong water spray or brushed with alcohol and a very lite touch. Mealy bugs...a larger white fuzzy critter that munches on the plants juices ...again spray vigorously and then treat with a soap/alcohol/oil mixture.

If no pest, then you must be PATIENT! let the plant recover from whatever trauma set it off. Water sparingly when no leaves/blooms are present. Hibs don't need nearly as much water as most books tell you. Don't fertilize for a while...the hardest part is waiting. Chances are it will fill out again and bloom shortly after that.

Yokwe,
Shari
Cherita
Madison, MS
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6778984

You were absolutely right Shari! I practically "ignored" my Hibiscus, less water and fertilize, and it is now healthy and blooming. Thank you for your help!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 5, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6781563

My pleasure! Thanks for letting me know that it turned out okay.

Yokwe,
Shari

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Tropical Hibiscus - Fragile, Fleeting, and Fabulous Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
WOW MitchF 2 Jan 21, 2008 9:07 PM
Great article doccat5 4 Jan 22, 2008 12:41 AM
Enjoyed the article Braveheartsmom 3 Jan 21, 2008 9:09 PM
Great job, Shari LarryR 2 Jan 22, 2008 4:08 AM
Bonnie's Bargain Basement BonniesBasement 2 Jan 25, 2010 5:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America