Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Article: Tropical Hibiscus - Fragile, Fleeting, and Fabulous: Hibiscus Problem! Help!

Communities > Forums > Article: Tropical Hibiscus - Fragile, Fleeting, and Fabulous
bookmark
Forum: Article: Tropical Hibiscus - Fragile, Fleeting, and FabulousReplies: 3, Views: 85
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cherita
Madison, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #6670340

My favorite flower is Hibiscus. I have never had a problem until this year. I recently planted a tree Hibiscus in a pot and the leaves are rapidly turning yellow and there are no blooms. I have tried to water consistently, not overwatering nor letting it dry out too much. The pot gets a few hours of sun but not all day sun. I had a Hibuscus in the same spot last year which bloomed beautifully. I used Miracle Gro Potting Soil when I planted this and read that this potting soil is not good for most plants. I mixed a cup of vinegar to a gallon of water yesterday and poured on it because I had read online this may help. Any suggestions?
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 11, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6671323

Hi Cherita...I hope I can help. I sounds like your hib may have gotten too much phosphorous. This will cause the leaves to yellow, and no blooms. I think you may be guilty of "killing with kindness"...hibs seem to do best when they are nearly neglected. I would do a couple of things here...

Check very closely to see if you have any pests...scale ( a white growth near the base of the plant and climbing up each branch) can be very tiny, almost looking like dried salt or something...easily removed with a strong water spray or brushed with alcohol and a very lite touch. Mealy bugs...a larger white fuzzy critter that munches on the plants juices ...again spray vigorously and then treat with a soap/alcohol/oil mixture.

If no pest, then you must be PATIENT! let the plant recover from whatever trauma set it off. Water sparingly when no leaves/blooms are present. Hibs don't need nearly as much water as most books tell you. Don't fertilize for a while...the hardest part is waiting. Chances are it will fill out again and bloom shortly after that.

Yokwe,
Shari
Cherita
Madison, MS
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6778984

You were absolutely right Shari! I practically "ignored" my Hibiscus, less water and fertilize, and it is now healthy and blooming. Thank you for your help!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 5, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6781563

My pleasure! Thanks for letting me know that it turned out okay.

Yokwe,
Shari

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Tropical Hibiscus - Fragile, Fleeting, and Fabulous Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
WOW MitchF 2 Jan 21, 2008 9:07 PM
Great article doccat5 4 Jan 22, 2008 12:41 AM
Enjoyed the article Braveheartsmom 3 Jan 21, 2008 9:09 PM
Great job, Shari LarryR 2 Jan 22, 2008 4:08 AM
Bonnie's Bargain Basement BonniesBasement 2 Jan 25, 2010 5:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America