-
AuthorContent
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

June 11, 2009
12:39 AM

Post #6670731

World's first scientific study of color in garden plants.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090605075219.htm

(But who cuts her hair!!!??)
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

June 11, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #6671085

Also interesting that she studies color and dresses entirely in shades of gray.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6671209

ROTFLOL!!! the hair comment...good one!
But did you see the more important article!?
Mathematicians Analyze Beer Bubbles to Peer Deeper into the Structure of Materials
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #6671240

laughing about haircut. Just when I was almost convinced that anything goes in the way of garden colors. Dr. Nina has to come out w/ this fancy study. Wouldn't it be something to be able to attend her lecture, assuming it is in English.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

June 11, 2009
10:18 AM

Post #6672245

She's welcome at my house anytime! Her rather unstylish looks might come from not seeing herself as a part of a garden?

I don't dress up for digging!

But that haircut is a punishment to all. lol
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2009
11:59 AM

Post #6672477

Do any of you watch Ace of Cakes? That's how Mary Alice, the manager of the bakery, cuts her bangs - I just want to yell at her 'that looks STUPID' - guess they can't afford a regular haircut, but it seems they could find a friend to cut their hair - even I could do better than that - I wouldn't do that to my dog! LOL
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

June 11, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #6672581

Bow wow.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

June 11, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6672588

You know, there ARE cartoon characters with haircuts like that! Plus, she's European, and everything is different there.

NO OFFENSE!! to anyone!!!

But she'd look silly with a Farrah Faucette, hey?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #6674363

Perhaps is she studied the beer bubbles, it might help
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 24, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #6730211

Well, I just had to see this haircut you all were laughing about, and then I read the article. I'm sorry, but I sincerely believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...the colors in anyone's garden are what they consider beautiful, not what someone else thinks. How can anyone receive a doctorate in something so subjective!?!?

Yokwe,
Shari
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

June 24, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #6731064

Shari,

Colors can clash. The wrong red next a chartruse... Coleus people sometimes just mix up everything, and maybe it works, and maybe not.

Once in a while you see some flowers that are SO lovely together. There's a leggy plant with strap leaves that has rich purple petunia-like flowers. It looks wonderful mixed in with light blue plumbago.

Bougainvillea can look kind fo clashy, umm, white with dark red and dark purple in equal amounts. Then there's a gorgeous white/pale pink/pale orange-gold that seems to sparkle.

And etc.

I'm sure the lady is the nicest person on earth, and tho' fun, kind of mean of us, ME, to laugh at her haircut. I doubt she has ever been the bimbo. But it is a funny trim.

I'm proud of her, to have a new and unique Doctorate!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 24, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #6733484

Molamola, I'm sure you are right, and I don't think anyone meant anything in a "mean" spirit. My comments were based on experience. I have a friend who is color blind, yet loves to garden. His perceptions of the combinations are totally different than mine, yet they are beautiful to him. Knowing this man has given me a better acceptance of what people put in their gardens. But I still can't understand this doctorate. To me it is almost as bad as the woman a few years ago who received a degree in "Barbie"! Ludicrous!

Yokwe,
Shari
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

June 25, 2009
4:16 AM

Post #6735270

uh oh, I love those plantings of equal dark red and white bougainvillea. We have one here that has both colors on the same vine. Plus, I just planted a true red with a gold or yellow. I have to agree that while there are some colors that are pleasing to most everyone there are also combinations that are only pleasing to a few. We joke here about how people from the north come down and paint their house and everything inside it beige, then they have a huge change of heart and paint everything a different wild color. Both extremes are kind of yucky to me but as long as I'm not living in it I don't really care. Well, except I do make fun of "Canadian Beige".
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

June 26, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #6738982

I just knew someone would like purple, red and white together!

Different strokes, I keep learning!

I have an old house with black and white Linoleum tiles that I can't afford to replace right now. I found a discussion group about fixing up old houses. I asked if anyone knew if I could paint my floor. Several people protesetd, they liked the checkerboard that I so dislike. Owell, no help there!

OK, off with me!
goofybulb
El Paso, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #6747003

I've been checking this thread, but didn't say anything... doctorates are a bit painful for me now... however, it's hard for me to just separate the color of plants from their shapes, forms and scents.

MM, I would paint that checkerboard too! And I've had, once in my life, such bangs... my own hands did that: 0 dollars. My parents', grandparents' and friends' faces - priceless...

RJ, I saw that! That is cool science!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 7, 2009
10:04 AM

Post #6788028

I am positive that one of the gardeners at the University of Gothenburg gives her a trim with the hedge shears.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

July 7, 2009
12:55 PM

Post #6788325

LOL.

There's a little girl cartoon character that has that exact 'do'.

Boy, look at those hedges. Clip clip clip

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America