Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Flowers for Zone 7

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 22, Views: 188
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Jeanisodyssey
Salisbury, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2009
4:13 AM

Post #6671731

Could you please give me some suggestions on what kind of flowers or good for zone 7a( i believe)

Thank you
Jeani

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #6676422

Sun or shade???
Jeanisodyssey
Salisbury, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #6676443

both

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2009
3:42 AM

Post #6676482

That's a tall order...

The easiest way to find is do a advance search on plant companies websites because you can search by color and when they flower, etc
This is just perennials for zone 7 notice...997 different plants.
ie...
http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/results_pics?ext_title=Advanced Search Results&mv_action=search&mv_form_profile=fixse&mv_session_id=4Z5hhmDC&mv_more_alpha=yes&mv_more_alpha_chars=1&hide=1&tf=name&ml=45&co=yes&rf=code,name,short_desc,price,qty,new_plant,disc&st=db&mv_value=nametype=scientific&mv_value=srchtype=custom&sf=disc&op=gt&nu=0&sf=zones&op=rm&nu=0&ac=1&su=0&sf=p_color&op=rm&nu=0&ac=1&su=0&sf=soil&op=rm&nu=0&ac=1&su=0&sf=ht&op=rm&nu=0&ac=1&su=0&sf=bloom&op=rm&nu=0&ac=1&su=0&sf=sun&op=rm&nu=0&ac=1&su=0&sf=ty&op=rm&nu=0&ac=1&su=0&from_search=1&se=0&se=z7&se=&se=&se=&se=&se=&se=tp
Jeanisodyssey
Salisbury, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #6676490

Ty flowerjen I will check it out
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #6676504

There are literally thousands of flowers that will do well in your area so you're really going to have to give us a little more to go on if you want some good suggestions. Can you give us some more hints on what you're looking for? Do you want things that are tall or short? Moisture loving or drought tolerant? Any particular favorite colors? Annuals or perennials? How big are the areas you're trying to fill in? Are there other things already planted there that these flowers need to coordinate (or at least not clash) with? Do you like more of a neat, formal garden, or do you like a more wild cottage or jungle style? If you've got some pictures that you could post of the areas you need help filling in that could help as well.
Jeanisodyssey
Salisbury, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #6676642

I am trying to cover areas around my house with flowers..I'm new to flowering so I would want something easy to take care of for starters til I get a little more familiar..I would like a colorful variety..I guess I would like more of a neat formal garden for now. Ty

Jeani
Jeanisodyssey
Salisbury, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #6678691

I only know one thing that I truly like and that is cactus plants( ones that grow pretty colors, not sure of names)...not that I dont like anything else I just dont know any names to look them up...I like colorful flowers...
Jeanisodyssey
Salisbury, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6680411

Is the Michigan Bulb Co a good place to buy from?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2009
3:34 AM

Post #6680804

If you want to check any mail order companies check the garden watchdog
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/

here's michigan bulb...I wouldn't recommend them
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/186/

Jeanisodyssey
Salisbury, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2009
5:05 AM

Post #6681065

Ty, flowerjen, I had posted the above in a separate thread also and ecrane just told me the same about MB,,,And pointed me to watchdog so I thank you both I wasn't aware of the watchdog or what is was for til now Ty both

Jeani
gcorrier
Lenoir City, TN

June 14, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6686266

J: I am in 7b and it has gotten too late here to plant much. I have used MB in the past and had good luck with bulbs and tubers. Live plants not so much. Any way I have come to trust several local nurseries close by. develope a relationship with them and when something doesn't do well (and it will happen) they are good about taking care of the customers that take care of them. Good luck and good growing. As for plants that do well in zone 7, my o my the list is endless! Bound to be so many you will like that you will not have room for them all. I try to work one area at a time. Then get plants that go well together as well as tolerat the same planting site conditions equally well. This will require a little research and again working with a local nursery will help as they will know based on your descriptions of plant preferences and growing conditions what to stear you toward.
Jeanisodyssey
Salisbury, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6687237

Ty, gcorrier ...Been trying to use the watchdog to find some that I like so I will be prepared for next year
dipsydoodle
Newcastle upon Tyne
United Kingdom

June 25, 2009
10:55 AM

Post #6735775

The best way to find out stuff that is suitable for your area is a simple trip to the garden centre; they only generally sell stuff that grows in your area.

Jeanisodyssey
Salisbury, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6736318

thankyou dipsydoodle
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #6736487

Depends on the garden center...if you go to a real nursery then that is more likely to be true, but if you go to the garden center at places like Home Depot all bets are off.
dipsydoodle
Newcastle upon Tyne
United Kingdom

June 26, 2009
9:49 AM

Post #6740420

I meant a nursery...I wouldn't class a garden centre at a home depot as a garden centre :(.
gcorrier
Lenoir City, TN

June 26, 2009
10:31 AM

Post #6740481

Jean: I have become a member of a garden center (nursery) rewards program. For every 100 I spend I get credit for 10 off next purchase. Also get to attend free clinics and once in a while they will hand out samples of various products for rewards members to try out at home. Things vendors are trying to get them to carry. The members are on a sales e-mail list and we just e-mail a report back on the product, good bad or indifferent. I have several ergonomic hand tools now that I got this way. Again best bet is local nursery and develope a working relationship. The people that hold the classes are not just employees but also hold some credintials. UT ag dept. persons most of the time. Another way to find out what does well in your area and give you ideas is visit local parks and the zoo, also cruise neighborhoods, make some notes and even ask, people are generaly thrilled to talk about their gardens and what is in them.
Jeanisodyssey
Salisbury, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6740955

Ty, ecrance and dipsydoodle.. I have been researching where there are nurserys in my area and plan to check them out when I return from Texas..

Ty,gcorrier...Good idea on the rewards program I will have to check on that to.

Jeani
dundeelaw
Litchfield, IL

June 27, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #6746857

Clerodendrum bungei, which is native to Mexico and South America, and is hardy throughout zone 7. Also try Camellia - Camellia sasanqua.
Jeanisodyssey
Salisbury, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2009
4:16 AM

Post #6748055

Ty Dundeelaw
kdfisher
Ellijay, GA
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #6895173

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com

OMG...I'm getting lost on that site. I never knew there were so many varities. My new gardening interest may just become addictive.

Thanks for the link!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6898752

very addictive, bluestone is one of my favs

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America