Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: What's eating my tomatoes?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 11, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mackowack
Shreveport, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6672974

Has this happend to any of you? I went to check my garden this morning and most of my good size tomatoes are just gone. Not nibbled on, no previous sign of stress just gone. The only thing I can come up with is there was a decent storm during the night with some crazy winds. Perhaps the wind knocked them off the vine and squirrels enjoyed a free breakfast? I am so upset. Do you think some other creature came and picked off the plant? I live in a city area so I wouldn't think anything other than cat, squirrel or maybe the stray opossum would come our way.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6673111

Mackowack,

Alas..perhaps you have missed that allusive, two-legged creature who stealthily appears in the cloak of night, sight unseen, and does his/her dastardly deed, leaving no trace except bare branches to be lamented upon in the wee hours of the morning...
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

June 11, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6673162

yup...that would be my guess...
mackowack
Shreveport, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #6675028

I would agree with you, however this is a fenced in back yard in a quiet neighborhood. I suspected my golden retriever, but I would have seen big muddy footprints as it's still quite wet. Can cats pick tomatoes? I just don't understand. Is chicken wire the best barrier for various critters? Thanks for reading.
Bodecoa
New Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6675921

Do Raccoons eat tomatoes?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2009
3:34 AM

Post #6676439

Ok, so you gave me more details... Wet ground and no tracks. Coulda been something capable of running along your fence, and a definite night stalker? Rat, racoon, or possum would be my next best guess. Linda
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2009
6:16 AM

Post #6676837

My bet's still on fence-climbing neighborhood kids. I don't know about the lack of tracks, though.

Are the tomato stems still on the plants? Seems to me that when wind or animals take a tomato, the stem stays on the plant. When people pick a tomato, they often pick it with the stem attached.

If the stems are gone, it was kids.
crazyfish3
Pensacola, FL

June 14, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6683945

Hey don't rule out them nutrarats. Yes racoons eat tomatoes,possems and my squirels is giveing mine the dickings. Hey i don't leave tracks in the wet garden this time of year eather, the soil has setteled. Don't rule out UFO'S , we have a bumper crop around here every few years. I think it is something the barkeeps put in them little glasses with the ice cubes.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6685979

I "lost" a few tomates that I was just ready to pick. Then I found Petey, our peacock, out there eating some. I thought he might peck them but I had no idea he would eat the whole thing. My children have been known to steal and eat them also.
Lisa
mackowack
Shreveport, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6753272

I found the culprit last night. My 80 lb golden retriever was casually chewing on a green tomato last night, can you say busted. I guess I'm off to Lowe's to find a solution. Maybe some bird netting will keep her out. I know she''ll eat "anything" but green tomatoes, really??
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6753589

Thanks for the good laugh I needed it. How can an 80lb anything sneak anywhere? Years ago I was waiting for my first tomato of the season to get perfectly ripe, well I guess my Basset Hound was too because she got to it first. I caught her but I didn't want it then! I'm off to Lowes also.
Lisa
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6754270

We used to have a big fat dachshund that liked cucumbers. I tried my best to keep him out of my garden, but he'd get into the cucumbers anyway.

Finally I realized it wasn't so bad. He only ate one or two cucumbers a day, and he really didn't damage the vines in getting them off. He'd look and look, pick a big one, then go lay in the shade and eat it. I had lots of cucumbers and he wasn't doing any damage, so I just let him have it his way.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America