Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What's eating my tomatoes?

Shreveport, LA(Zone 8a)

Has this happend to any of you? I went to check my garden this morning and most of my good size tomatoes are just gone. Not nibbled on, no previous sign of stress just gone. The only thing I can come up with is there was a decent storm during the night with some crazy winds. Perhaps the wind knocked them off the vine and squirrels enjoyed a free breakfast? I am so upset. Do you think some other creature came and picked off the plant? I live in a city area so I wouldn't think anything other than cat, squirrel or maybe the stray opossum would come our way.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Mackowack,

Alas..perhaps you have missed that allusive, two-legged creature who stealthily appears in the cloak of night, sight unseen, and does his/her dastardly deed, leaving no trace except bare branches to be lamented upon in the wee hours of the morning....

North Augusta, ON

yup...that would be my guess...

Shreveport, LA(Zone 8a)

I would agree with you, however this is a fenced in back yard in a quiet neighborhood. I suspected my golden retriever, but I would have seen big muddy footprints as it's still quite wet. Can cats pick tomatoes? I just don't understand. Is chicken wire the best barrier for various critters? Thanks for reading.

New Port Richey, FL(Zone 9b)

Do Raccoons eat tomatoes?

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, so you gave me more details... Wet ground and no tracks. Coulda been something capable of running along your fence, and a definite night stalker? Rat, racoon, or possum would be my next best guess. Linda

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

My bet's still on fence-climbing neighborhood kids. I don't know about the lack of tracks, though.

Are the tomato stems still on the plants? Seems to me that when wind or animals take a tomato, the stem stays on the plant. When people pick a tomato, they often pick it with the stem attached.

If the stems are gone, it was kids.

Pensacola, FL

Hey don't rule out them nutrarats. Yes racoons eat tomatoes,possems and my squirels is giveing mine the dickings. Hey i don't leave tracks in the wet garden this time of year eather, the soil has setteled. Don't rule out UFO'S , we have a bumper crop around here every few years. I think it is something the barkeeps put in them little glasses with the ice cubes.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I "lost" a few tomates that I was just ready to pick. Then I found Petey, our peacock, out there eating some. I thought he might peck them but I had no idea he would eat the whole thing. My children have been known to steal and eat them also.
Lisa

Shreveport, LA(Zone 8a)

I found the culprit last night. My 80 lb golden retriever was casually chewing on a green tomato last night, can you say busted. I guess I'm off to Lowe's to find a solution. Maybe some bird netting will keep her out. I know she''ll eat "anything" but green tomatoes, really??

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the good laugh I needed it. How can an 80lb anything sneak anywhere? Years ago I was waiting for my first tomato of the season to get perfectly ripe, well I guess my Basset Hound was too because she got to it first. I caught her but I didn't want it then! I'm off to Lowes also.
Lisa

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

We used to have a big fat dachshund that liked cucumbers. I tried my best to keep him out of my garden, but he'd get into the cucumbers anyway.

Finally I realized it wasn't so bad. He only ate one or two cucumbers a day, and he really didn't damage the vines in getting them off. He'd look and look, pick a big one, then go lay in the shade and eat it. I had lots of cucumbers and he wasn't doing any damage, so I just let him have it his way.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.