Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Agastaches and Salvias: Salvia discolor

Communities > Forums > Agastaches and Salvias
bookmark
Forum: Agastaches and SalviasReplies: 8, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #6673868

I'm thinking I'd like to get this one, anyone have experience w/ it?
wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 11, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #6674325

I have it...my largest has been in a half barrel in part shade, stems arching to about 4 ft. It's been in there several years and the barrel's falling apart, so I was a bit worried about how well it would transplant...no problem, root ball was actually pretty small and it's gone into a large clay pot for now.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2009 3:04 PM

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2009
10:05 AM

Post #6677041

I was thinking I'd need to give it some shade, at least thru the middle of the day. I have a couple of spots that get much more shade in summer under an area that has large oak trees. In winter it's sunnier. I can always build up the beds..just wondering about the humidity in summer. I'll probably end up trying it...found a place where the price isn't too horrendous, but then again haven't checked out their shipping yet.
wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 12, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6677454

It's possible that it may take more sun than I've given it. Others here with more experience may be able to tell you if so. I tend to err on the side of less sun. I think it does look best if it can be placed in a spot where it's elevated and I may keep this one potted and try to find a 'perch' for it. How is everyone else treating it?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #6677485

I just got one this spring and it's planted in one of my many very full sun beds (sun from 10 AM until sunset). It does get a little shade from the corner of the deck, but still gets plenty of sun. So far it's doing fine but we haven't had much hot weather yet so it's hard to say whether it'll be OK there in the long run or not. I can't remember if it was planted before one of the 100+ heat waves that we had in the spring or not--our summer so far has been very cool.
andymaycen
Keaau, HI

June 12, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6677746

Hi,
I have it in full sun with little water...it does fine here under those conditions...it has been in that location for about 5 years. My guess is it won't like Florida's humidity as it seems to really like dry conditions and good drainage.
2salvia
London
United Kingdom

June 12, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #6678346

Here, in the UK, it gets killed by the 1st frost. So I take cuttings in summer which are over-wintered under glass. It is happy in full sun here (when we have some), and only grows to about 12 inches. Therefore it gets "lost" in a border, so I tend to grow mine in a raised basket, where its unique flowers can be seen at eye level. Have you noticed the strong blackcurrant smell from the leaves and stems?
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

June 12, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6678461

It did very well for me in a raised sandy loam bed one summer in North Carolina. In Florida, much rain in summer would probably mess it up.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6680581

That's where it's kinda of a guessing game here. Some summers, lots of rain, others reasonable. ( or like this spring where is was monsoonal, which is unusual ! ) I do build up the beds, and I'm about 15 miles from the coast and it's often breezy here.
Nights can be still tho. If it doesn't get all that big I might just keep it in a pot, and put it in the Oak Hammock, Full sun am, shade midday, more sun late afternoon thru evening. Many of my Salvia's like that arrangement. It's so beautiful, I'd be willing to give it a try.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America